Pacific Power crews from as far away as Walla Walla Washington have come to Southern Siskiyou County to help restore electricity to the approximately 4,000 who are till doing without.
Residents of Mount Shasta McCloud, Dunsmuir and parts of Weed woke Wednesday morning to a foot or more of extremely heavy, wet snow, snapped tree branches, and no lights when they flipped the switch.
Steady progress on repairs is expected throughout Friday as weather stabilizes, though full restoration may not be possible in some areas until the weekend, said Pacific Power media representative Jan Mitchell.
“Crews have been hampered by road conditions, particularly in the more remote areas were many lines and poles are down,” she said.
Many times, crews had to deal with snapping limbs breaking lines which had just been repaired.
“There have been a lot of do-overs involved,” said Mitchell.
As residents anxiously await the return of their power, some decided to wait no longer.
John’s Satellite Radio Shack was busy Thursday evening, where a new shipment of generators had just come in.
Eight of them sold in just about 10 hours, said employee Shelly Besk.
Mount Shasta’s Melissa Riddell was one such customer.
“We’re getting a generator so we can run our monitor,” she said, explaining that she’d been without power for three days by that point. “It’s expected to be out through the weekend,” she added.
Others in line, including Mount Shasta’s John Logan, were there to purchase cell phone chargers for their cars, so they could stay in touch with the outside world until the power comes back on.

Pacific Power offers the following tips and safety precautions:

·         Stay away from all downed power lines and utility lines. Even if the lines are not sparking, they could be energized and extremely dangerous.

·         Call and report the outage to Pacific Power at 1-877-LITES OUT (1-877-548-3768).

·         Candles should never be left unattended or used for extended periods. Use a flashlight or other battery-powered lighting source.

·         Use a fireplace or wood stove to keep warm. Pay careful attention to fire hazards.

·         Never use kerosene or propane heaters inside without proper ventilation. They create dangerous fumes. Also, don't use charcoal in your house or garage.

·         Never use a barbecue grill indoors. Cook over sterno cans.

·         Don’t drive over downed power lines.

·         Turn on your porch light switch. After crews complete repairs, they patrol the area of the power failure to see if lights are on.

·         As much as possible, do not open refrigerators and freezers—they will keep food and perishables inside cold for some time if not opened.

·         Preserve body heat by wearing multiple layers of clothing. Add a hat and blanket to stay warm. Blankets and towels around windows and doors help keep the heat in.

·         Check on your neighbors, especially those who may need special assistance. Also, check with others who have electricity, to see if you can visit.

·         Protect your pipes during freezing weather by wrapping them with insulation. Also, leave faucets dripping so water won’t freeze and crack the pipes.

·         Generators should be located outside and far enough away from any occupied space that fumes are not drawn into a dwelling. In positioning a generator, also be mindful of prevailing winds.

·         Make sure generators are properly wired for your home or business, and don’t connect a generator directly to your home’s main fuse box or circuit panel. This can create a dangerous backfeed hazard for lines crews.