Here's a listing of all the many events happening around Southern Siskiyou County
Wed., May 25
Mexican fiesta -- Dunsmuir Chamber of Commerce Mexican Fiesta, 5 to 7 p.m., Hosted by Coldwell Banker, Chris Kutzkey Realtors at 5728 Dunsmuir Avenue. Network with fellow chamber members, business owners and community members. Catered by Man on a Mission Catering, Art Catrow. Info: 235-2177.
Thurs., May 26
Blogging workshop -- “Blogging for Business and Bucks,” 5:30 to 8 p.m., The Gallery Experience, downtown Mount Shasta. Get an understanding of blogging and enough info to determine if blogging is right for your business. Presenter: Jessica Murr. Cost: $25. Info/register: (530) 242-7630 or www.sbdcsc.org
Sat., May 28
• Dogwood Daze -- Dunsmuir’s Dogwood Daze celebration includes a city-wide yard sale, Rotary pancake breakfast, doggie parade, flower and art show, home garden tour, pie social, Botanical Garden tour, plant sale, growers market, strolling musician, storefront art, street dance and dinner at Dunsmuir Brewery. Info: 235-2177.
• Book sale -- Friends of the Dunsmuir Library book sale, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., Dunsmuir library. Bag of books, $3. Info: 235-2035.
• Water safety -- Lake Shastina’s 2011 Be Safe on the Lake water safety program presented by Siskiyou County Sheriff’s Department. Two sessions: 10 a.m. and 1 p.m., Lake Shastina public access ramp. Learn the law and what equipment you need in your fishing boat, ski boat, jet ski, kayak or patio boat. All boaters welcome. Info: 938-3281, 938-0938.
May 28 and 29
Mushroom faire -- McCloud’s Mushroom, Music and Wine Faire, May 28 and 29, 10 a.m., Main Street. Mushroom delicacies, cooking demos, seminars and educational booths on harvesting, games and prizes, live music and BBQ. For booth space: 964-2431.
Sun., May 29
Worship service -- Outdoor service with Mount Shasta Baptist Curch of Weed and Wayside Church, 10:30 a.m., Charles Byrd Park in Weed. Refreshments served.
Memorial Day service -- 2 p.m., Living Memorial Sculpture Garden, located 13 miles north of Weed on Highway 97. Honoring honorably discharged veterans and allied veterans. Those wishing to be seated must bring chairs. Emcee: Dr. John B. Runnels. Speaker: Sheriff Jon Lopey. Includes music, honor guard, invocation, benediction and gun salute. Info: www.weedlmsg.org
Inspiring message -- By Rev. Eleanor Richard, 4303 Oak Street, Dunsmuir. The non-denominational Center for Spiritual Living welcomes all. Info: 938-2930.
Mon., May 30
• Memorial Day ceremony -- Conducted by McCloud American Legion, 11 a.m., McCloud Cemetery. All are welcome to attend to honor those soldiers who served our country.
Memorial Day service -- 10 a.m., Lincoln Heights Cemetery, Weed. Speaker: Dr. John Diehm. Hosted by Mount Shasta Baptist Church, Weed.
Tue., May 31
• Senior budget class -- 3 p.m., Dunsmuir Community Resource Center, 4103 Pine Street. Learn how to manage your money and budget your finances from a US Bank representative; 235-4005.
Tuesdays in May -- The Four Agreements class, 7 p.m., 4303 Oak Street, Dunsmuir, Fireside Room. Facilitated by Rev. Eleanor Richard. Based on book by Miguel Ruiz; 938-2930.
• Allergy wellness -- Free lecture on Allergy Wellness Program, 6 to 7 p.m., A Melo Place, downtown Mount Shasta, with acupuncturist Cheryl Drake; 859-1296.
• Swim team sign ups -- South Siskiyou Swim Team sign ups, 5p.m., Weed Pool. All abilities welcome for recreation, competition or fitness. Cost: $125, 1st swimmer; $105, each additional family member. Practice begins Monday, June 13 at 4 p.m., ages 5-10; 4:45 p.m., ages 11-18. Info: 938-1293.
Health assessments -- Free XYTO Compass Health Assesments with local herb specialist Sandy Patterson, 10 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., Sereni-tea, downtown Mount Shasta. Nature’s Sunshine Products available at 25 percent discount. Info: 938-3907.
Free herbal hour -- 4 to 5 p.m., Sereni-tea, downtown Mount Shasta with herb specialist Sandy Patterson. Topic: Developing Your Home’s Natural Medicine Chest. Learn what to put in your pocket first aid kit and what herbs to use for various ailments. Info: 938-3907.
Metal detecting club -- Siskiyou County Relic and Recovery Club meets on the 1st Thursday monthly at 7 p.m. at Siskiyou Lanes Bowling Center, 1601 S. Oregon Street in Yreka. Info: 964-2682.
Business seminar -- The Federal Technology Center presents a free Introduction to Federal Contracting seminar, 9 a.m. to noon, at Northeastern California Small Business Development hosted by Shasta College, 2990 Innsbruck Drive, Redding. To register: www.theftc.org or toll free, 866-382-7822.
Parents night out -- Parents who’d like time to themselves may drop their children off at the United Methodist Church, 312 W. Alma Street in Mount Shasta between 6 and 9 p.m. (use basement entrance on Cedar Street). Arts and crafts, games, cooking, music, storytelling or movie. Accommodations made for infants. Supervision by UMC adults. Nutritious meal provided. Space is limited. Reservations/info: 938-3022 or 574-6549.
Plant & bake sale -- McCloud Garden Club’s annual Spring Plant and Bake Sale, 9:30 a.m. until sellout, Heritage Junction Museum porch, Main Street, McCloud. Proceeds used for community projects.
• Nature walk/hike -- Mount Shasta Community Resource Center is sponsoring a senior nature walk/hike on Lake Siskiyou Trail. Meet at 10:30 a.m. at Resource Center, 109 E. Lake Street. Cost: $1 to $2, for gas. Bring bag lunch and proper hiking/walking gear. Must sign up prior to event: 926-1400.
Conversations with Laarkmaa -- 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., Gallery Experience Room in The Gallery, downtown Mount Shasta. Dialogue with six Pleiadians by Rebecca Smith Orleane, PhD and Cullen Baird Smith, authors of “Conversations With Laarkmaa: A Pleiadian View of the New Reality.” Topics: Unity Consciousness, How to Manage Emotions, The Ascension Process, The Mayan Calendar, Lemuria, and more. Admission: $11. Info: 530-925-1037, firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
BBQ -- 5 to 8 p.m., St. Joseph’s Catholic Church Parish Hall, 213 Colombero, McCloud. BBQ tri-tip, baked beans, salad, rolls, homemade dessert. Cost: $12.50 each. Info: 964-9774.
Fireman’s muster -- McCloud Fire Department’s annual Fireman’s Muster. Includes parade, games, contests, fire safety info for kids, BBQ and dance. Vendors needed; 925-0029.
• Charity bike or walk -- Benefit for Climb Against the Odds Breast Cancer Fund begins at Mount Shasta Resort tennis courts. Free coffee and goodies at start of event.
Four bike ride options: 8:30 a.m. first bridge and Castle Lake; 10 a.m., Castle Lake; 10:15 a.m., second bridge; 11 a.m., first bridge. Walkers start time optional, walking any length on Lake Siskiyou Trail. Strollers and children encouraged.
Lunch included at noon. Bring side dish and beverage. Free burgers, veggie burgers and hors d’oeuvres donated by Doris Moss Realty. Minimum tax deductible $20 donation for adults; kids are free. Info: 925-1001, 261-1297, 926-3370.
Portuguese picnic -- Annual Celebration of the Holy Ghost Festival in Hawkinsville commencing with Queens Parade to Immaculate Conception Church at 11 a.m.; Mass of Thanksgiving by Father Lawrence at 11:15 a.m.; followed by crowning of this year’s queen Kara Dancer. Includes Beef Pit Barbecue from 12:30 to 2:30 p.m., bingo, drawings, music, games for children and auction.
Ride for the Mustangs -- Join the Mustang Medicine Hoop and Wild Horse Mentors on a ride to support the Wild Horse Nation. Begins at 1 p.m. at Playa del Grajo Ranch near Sheep Rock, goes to Highway 97, and back, followed by barbecue. Prizes for best dressed horse and rider; and most well behaved horse. Cost: $25 per horse and rider. Proceeds benefit Shingletown Wild Horse Sanctuary. Info: (530) 722-7322.
Flea market -- McCloud’s annual Flea Market, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., Main Street. Features arts, crafts, antiques, tools, clothing, food, entertainment and more. Booth discounts for McCloud residents. Info: 964-3113.
• CFABD booth -- Citizens for a Better Dunsmuir is seeking donated saleable items (no clothes) for its booth at the McCloud Flea Market held on June 5. For free pick up/info: 235-2518, 925-0905 or 235-0085.
• Farmers market -- Mount Shasta Farmers Market opening day, 3:30 to 6 p.m., 411 N. Mt. Shasta Blvd. Local fresh produce, honey, meats, herbs, flowers, hand-crafted food and craft items. Help the environment, bring your own bags. Held every Monday.
June 7 and 8
Caregiver class -- Free Non-Medical Caregiver Class, June 7 and 8, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., Madrone Senior Center, 810 N. Oregon Street, Yreka. Designed for family caregivers or anyone providing in-home care. Certificates of completion given to those completing both days of class. Lunch included. Registration deadline May 31: 459-5382 or toll-free (530) 995-0878.
June 10, 11, 12
Railroad Days -- Dunsmuir’s 2011 Railroad Days event kicks off at 6 p.m. on June 10 with Allison & Victor at Meet the Trains. Three day event includes vintage trains, live entertainment, kids activities, parade, River Run, food and craft vendors.
Space available for crafts, food and railroad related vendors. Space for community organizations at reduced rates. Vendor space: $75, three days; $20, non-profits. No alcohol sales. Prize raffle for vendors Sunday. Info: 235-4034.
River Run -- Dunsmuir Railroad Days River Run with 2-mile and 5-mile races. Registration fee: $15, includes 2011 RR Days t-shirt. Registration at 7 a.m. on day of race; or go to www.dunsmuirrailroaddays.org for registration forms.
Community yard sale -- Benefit for Mt. Shasta Nordic Snow Cat Groomer Fund, 8 a.m. until everything goes, at Mt. Shasta Integrative Medicine parking lot, downtown Mount Shasta. To donate furniture, sports equipment, good quality used items: firstname.lastname@example.org or 859-9168. Pick up is Friday, June 10.
Monks performance -- Monks of the Sacred Earth Tour’s “Journey to the Roof of the World: a Tibetan Sacred Dance Performance,” 7 p.m., College of the Siskiyous Ford Theater, Weed. Event for the whole family. Sounds and dramatic imagery of Tibetan sacred dance, music and chanting. Pre-sale tickets: $10, adults; $5, youth/students, available in Mount Shasta at Village Books, Siskiyou Arts Council, Velvet Elephant; in Weed at Chamber of Commerce and Visitors Center, Scott Valley Bank; and in Yreka at Nature’s Kitchen. Tickets at the door, $12, adults. Hosted by Mount Shasta Friends of Tibetan Culture. Supported by Siskiyou Arts Council.
• Bike ride -- Free Mountain Bike Ride for intermediate level, sponsored by Scott Valley Bikes & Sporting Goods. Meet at 8 a.m. at shop, 11223 Highway 3, Fort Jones and truck pool to ride location. Helmets, water and mountain bike with at least front suspension required. Info: 468-5672.
Free herbal hour -- 2 to 4 p.m., A Melo Place, downtown Mount Shasta with herb specialist Sandy Patterson. Topic: Developing Your Home’s Natural Medicine Chest. Learn what to put in your pocket first aid kit and what herbs to use for various ailments. Free samples. Info: 938-3907.
June 17, 18 and 19
Softball tournament -- Jimmy Jackson - Sacha Marino Memorial Softball Tournament, June 17, 18 and 19 at Bel Air Park in Weed. $100 entry fee; $1,000 payout. For sign-ups/info: 938-1480 or 261-0342.
Conversations with Laarkmaa -- 4 to 6 p.m., Gallery Experience Room in The Gallery, downtown Mount Shasta. See listing under June 4 for more info.
Audubon field trip -- Mt. Shasta Area Audubon field trip to McCloud River area with expert birder Joey Russell. Meet at 7:30 a.m. at north end of Ray’s Food Place parking lot, near old Dugout Restaurant in Mount Shasta. Info: 459-5190.
Golf tournament -- Weed Rotary Club’s 5th annual Golf Tournament at Lake Shastina Golf Resort. Registration, 8 a.m.; shotgun start, 9 a.m. Four man scramble includes 18 holes of golf, riding cart, lunch and small bucket of range balls. Prizes for longest drive, closest to the pin and hole in one. Raffle prizes. To register/info: 938-3573.
June 20 to 24
• Vacation Bible School -- Grace Presbyterian Church, 1090 N. Davis Avenue in Weed will host Vacation Bible School June 20 to 24 from 9 to 11:45 a.m. Theme: “PandaMania, Where God is Wild About You!” Psalm 139. Kids will explore “the mighty love of God.” VBS is free and open to all children entering kindergarten through 5th grade. Register by June 10 at www.snowcrest.net/gracepc or at the church office on Monday and Wednesday mornings. Info: 938-2019.
June 21, 22 and 23
Kids art class -- Siskiyou Arts Bus Mosaic Workshop for kids ages 8 to 12. Fee info: 859-2309 or stop by Siskiyou Arts Council Gallery, downtown Mount Shasta for registration form.
June 24 and 25
Run to the Far Side -- 8th annual Run to the Far Side of Mt. Shasta. Law enforcement and veterans memorial motorcycle event. Starts from Armory Building on Fairlane Road in Yreka. Pre-registrations now accepted. Details: www.farsiderun.com or email@example.com
• Indicates new listing