Wed., July 27
Outdoor creative arts -- Outdoor Creative Arts for Older Adults group (age 60 and over) outing to Mount Shasta Resort. Meet at 10:30 p.m. at Mount Shasta Community Resource Center, 109 E. Lake Street. Self-guided exploration of watercolor painting and drawing. Free art supplies provided, or bring your own. Bring bag lunch. Requested $1 to $2 gas contribution. Volunteer drivers needed. To pre-register: 926-1400.
Thurs., July 28
Senior hike/walk -- Group will go to Castle Crags river trail and suspension bridge. Group will leave Mount Shasta Community Resource Center, 109 E. Lake Street at 10:30 a.m. and return about 2 or 3 p.m. Bring packed lunch.
Pre-register by Tuesday, July 26 at 926-1400.
Fri., July 29
Benefit gala reception -- Music by the Mountain Summer Festival benefit gala reception, 7:30 p.m., Mount Shasta Resort, Siskiyou Room. Live music from Cole Porter and Gershwin to all-time opera favorites, silent auction, appetizers, no-host bar. The evening’s featured satin walnut-finish Yamaha grand piano, supplied by Piano Studios and Showcase of Medford, Ore., is for sale ($11,900) with $1,000 of proceeds to Music by the Mountain. Piano info: (541) 821-3032.
Event tickets: $35, each; $65, couples; at Village Books, Mount Shasta; Nature’s Kitchen, Yreka. Proceeds benefit free musical performances in local schools. Info: 926-5942 or www.musicbythemountain.com
July 29 and 30
WHS reunion -- Weed High School Class of 1961 will hold its 50th class reunion Friday and Saturday, July 29 and 30. Friday gathering from 6 to 8 p.m. at Mt. Shasta Brewery in Weed for visiting, snacks and drinks. Saturday dinner at Lake Shastina Golf Resort with cocktails at 5 p.m.; followed by dinner at 6 p.m. If a classmate hasn’t been contacted call 938-2619.
July 29, 30 and 31
Lumberjack Fiesta -- McCloud’s 64th annual Lumberjack Fiesta, July 29, 30 and 31. Includes Little Miss Fiesta/Little Logger Contest, kids dance contest, vendor booths, softball, bocce ball and horseshoe tournaments, pancake breakfast, ax throw and logging contests, kids activities, live music, and more. Info: 964-2718.
Sat., July 30
• Blackbird festival -- 4&20 Blackbird Music Festival, 11 a.m. to 11 p.m., downtown Weed. Features up to five stages and music from over 50 bands, food and vendor booths, street entertainers. Tickets: $5 per venue; $15, Mongo Pass (all access); $8, 21 and under three stage pass; kids five and under are free. Street fair portion is free to all.
Tickets available at www.4and20festival.com and at event. Proceeds go towards purchase of street clock and signage for Weed and restoring Weed Palace Theater marquee.
ShastaYama -- The 7th annual Taiko Festival, 6 p.m., Shastice Park, Mount Shasta. Gates open at 5 p.m. Lawn seating. Bring blankets, lawn chairs, warm clothes and flashlight. Food and refreshments available for purchase. No pets or glass allowed. Cost: $25, adults; $20, ages 13-17; $15, ages 5-12; free, ages 4 and under. Tickets: Village Books and Soul Connections, Mount Shasta; Yreka Chamber of Commerce; Bogbean Books & Music, Redding; and at the gate. Or by credit card at 800-926-4865, extension 203 or www.shastayama.org Info: 859-8686.
Tango del Cielo -- Music by the Mountain, 7:30 p.m., Evangelical Free Church, Mount Shasta. Innovative theatrical program featuring flamenco and Argentine tango music and dance. Tickets: $25, adults; $5, students; available at Village Books, Mount Shasta; Nature’s Kitchen, Yreka. Info: 926-5942.
Firehouse Fiesta -- Castella/Dunsmuir Fire District and the Castella Community Education Organization will host a Firehouse Fiesta adult fundraiser at the Castella Firehouse in Castella. No-host beer, wine and margaritas at 5 p.m.; dinner at 6 p.m.; followed by dessert/gift auction. Menu: BBQ-style dinner of ribs by Tony and beverages. Tickets: $15 each, available at Castle Rock School office, 235-0101 or call 235-4495. Proceeds benefit both fire districts and CCEO.
Saturday Night Live -- Free community dinner and outdoor concert held the last Saturday monthly at Lake Shastina Community Bible Church on Jackson Ranch Road. Dinner, 5:30 p.m.; concert, 7 p.m. Info: 925-2368.
Growers market -- Dunsmuir Growers Market 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Fresh picked produce, crafts and food items, and a special quilt raffle this month. Leslie Tift and Tom Scott perform, 10 a.m. to noon; 235-4034.
Genealogy meeting -- Genealogical Society of Siskiyou County monthly meeting, 1 p.m. Research Center, 912 S. Main Street, Yreka (behind museum). Short business meeting and educational program. Everyone is welcome. Info: www.siskiyougenealogy.org
July 30 and 31
Yard sale -- Sisson Museum’s annual fund-raising yard sale, Saturday, July 30 and 31, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.; and Sunday, July 31, 1 to 4 p.m. at 1 N. Old Stage Road, Mount Shasta.
Sun., July 31
• Harmonica class -- The Joy of Harmonica with Larry Marks, 1 p.m., A Melo Place, 412 S. Mt. Shasta Blvd., Mount Shasta. Info: 859-1296 or email@example.com
Chamber music recital -- Music by the Mountain, 4 p.m., Seventh Day Adventist Church, Mount Shasta. “Favorites and Finds” from Viennese Classical tradition to gypsies of Czechoslovakia. Special guests: violinist Dawn Harms, San Francisco Opera soprano Nicolle Foland, mezzo-soprano Sally Porter Munro, and pianist Laura Dahl. Tickets: $15, adults; $5, students; available at Village Books, Mount Shasta; Nature’s Kitchen, Yreka. Info: 926-5942.
• Favored disciple -- Rev. Eleanor Richard’s message, “Mary, the Favored Disciple,” 11 a.m., Center for Spiritual Living, 4303 Oak Street, Dunsmuir. All are welcome. Info: 938-2930.
Mon., Aug. 1
• Loan program -- Loans from $2,500 to $7,500 will be available starting Aug. 1 through Great Northern Corporation’s new Get New Capital loan program. Loans have one to three year terms at below market rates, short approval turnaround time, and personal service to Siskiyou County businesses. Small business technical assistance and referrals available. Info: 938-4115, extension 12 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Farmers’ market -- Mount Shasta Farmers’ Market every Monday, 3:30 to 6 p.m., between Castle and Alma Streets. Local fresh produce, honey, meats, herbs, flowers, handcrafted food and craft items.
Tue., Aug. 2
• Blood drive -- BloodSource community blood drive, 1 to 6 p.m., Mount Shasta Community Building, 629 Alder Street. Donors receive Baskin-Robbins ice cream sandwich. Info: 1-866-822-5663 or www.bloodsource.org
• Potluck -- Dunsmuir Garden Club’s annual summer potluck, 5:30 p.m. Dunsmuir City Park. All those interested are encouraged to attend.
Herbal pet health -- Herbal Alternatives for Your Pet’s Health class, 3 to 4 p.m., Alpine Veterinary Hospital, 210 Main Street, Weed. Facilitated by herb specialist Sandy Patterson. Talk on what herbs are historically used for specific ailments and how to strengthen the different body systems. Info: 938-3907.
• Pre-school program -- Mount Shasta Martial Arts Program is a offering free Run & Laugh pre-school Saturday morning activity program during the month of August from 9 to 10 a.m. at 612-A S. Mt. Shasta Blvd., Mount Shasta. Allows young children to explore their physical abilities through running, jumping, laughing and more. Info: 859-2024, email@example.com, or www.mtshastama.org
• Appreciation day -- Paws & Shop Thrift Shoppe Customer Appreciation Day, 11 a.m. to 4 p.m., 1208 N. Mt. Shasta Blvd., Mount Shasta. Receive 50 percent off storewide (some items excluded). Books, $5 per bag (vintage books, 50 percent off). Clothing, shoes, purses, accessories, $3 per bag (white tagged items, 50 percent off). Proceeds support Siskiyou Humane Society. Info: 926-8878.
Art on the Block -- Siskiyou Arts Council’s Art on the Block and Musicians Swap Meet, noon to 6 p.m., N. Mt. Shasta Blvd., Mount Shasta. Features wide variety of local artists’ visual arts and crafts. Plus a downtown Art Walk with tours of galleries and art displays in windows; and musicians Roulette Jam.
The Musicians Swap Meet enables you to buy, sell and trade instruments, gear, sheet music, recordings, media players and other music-related items. Vendor applications are available at Siskiyou Arts Council Gallery or 938-0130. Tickets: $1 each; or $5 for six; available at SAC Gallery or day of event. Info: 925-2770.
CMA fellowship ride -- Christian Motorcyclists Association/Siskiyou Servants 1st Saturday Fellowship Ride begins at 9 a.m. at the old Boston Shaft parking lot in Yreka (weather permitting). All are invited. Info: 598-0608.
Aug. 6 and 7
Yard sale -- Sisson Museum’s annual fund-raising yard sale, Saturday Aug. 6, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.; and Sunday, Aug. 7, 1 to 4 p.m. at 1 N. Old Stage Road, Mount Shasta.
• Bike ride -- Free mountain bike ride for intermediate level, sponsored by Scott Valley Bikes & Sporting Goods. Meet at 8 a.m. at shop, 11223 Highway 3, Fort Jones and truck pool to ride location. Helmets, water and mountain bike with at least front suspension required. Info: 468-5672. Next bike ride slated for Aug. 21.
Herbal pet health -- Herbal Alternatives for Your Pet’s Health class, 12:30 to 1:30 p.m., A Melo Place, 412 S. Mt. Shasta Blvd., Mount Shasta. Facilitated by herb specialist Sandy Patterson. Talk on what herbs are historically used for specific ailments and how to strengthen the different body systems. Info: 938-3907.
• Financing class -- David Castaneda, business development specialist with US Small Business Administration Sacramento office, will answer financing questions during a no-cost class, noon to 1:30 p.m., Holiday Inn Express in Yreka. To register: (530) 242-7630 or www.sbdcsc.org
• Blood drive -- Shasta Blood Center community blood drive, noon to 6 p.m., Sons of Italy Hall, 155 Clay Street, Weed. Donors earn Hero Points for the Reward Store and receive free box of Girl Scout Cookies. Free cholesterol test. For appointment: (530) 722-3043 or www.bloodheroes.com sponsor code: Weed.
Aug. 10 to 14
Fair -- The Siskiyou Golden Fair, “A Blue Ribbon Affair,” has been scheduled to run Aug. 10 to 14 at the county fairgrounds in Yreka. Country music singer Ronnie Milsap will perform on Aug. 11. Tickets for the concert go on sale June 2. Cost: $25 for box seats and the pit; $20 for reserved grandstand; $15 for general admission. Info: 842-2767, firstname.lastname@example.org or www.sisqfair.com
• Meditation talk -- Aspects of the Serene Reflection Meditation Tradition, 7 p.m., Mount Shasta City Park, lower lodge. Presented by Shasta Abby monks. Topic: “True Wisdom.” Teaching on how foundational Buddhist practices are relevant to daily life in 2011. Free, donations accepted. Info: 926-4208, shastaabbey.org
Aug. 15 to 18
Educational Summit -- Educational and Community Leadership Summit, hosted by Siskiyou Union High School District, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Mount Shasta Resort. Topic: Life Optimization Advanced Leadership Training for all SUHSD staff, students and parents, plus business and community representatives. Free. Lunch provided. To register: www.sisuhsd.net Info: 926-3006 or email email@example.com
• Blood drive -- BloodSource community blood drive, 2 to 6 p.m., American Legion Hall, 232 Broadway Avenue, McCloud. Donors receive Baskin-Robbins ice cream sandwich. Info: 1-866-822-5663 or www.bloodsource.org
Aug. 19, 20 and 21
• Heritage Days -- McCloud’s annual Heritage Days, Main Street, McCloud. Includes street fair featuring handcrafted and antique items, live entertainment, vintage and collector car show, performances by Law Dawgs, melodrama performances, children’s games and activities for the whole family. St. Joseph’s Church BBQ dinner on Friday. Firemen’s Breakfast and a pie sale on Saturday. Info: 964-2604.
Aug. 22 and 23
Educational Summit -- Educational and Community Leadership Summit, hosted by Siskiyou Union High School District, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., Weed High School. Topic: School and Community Identity and Project Development Workshop for all SUHSD staff, students and parents, plus business and community representatives. Free. Lunch provided. To register: www.sisuhsd.net Info: 926-3006 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
• Indicates new listing
Calendar of Events, updated July 27
Wed., July 27