By Colleen Setzer,
Siskiyou County Clerk
The California Secretary of State’s office has released a list of candidates for president that will appear on the June 5 ballot for the Democratic, Republican, American Independent, Green, Libertarian and Peace and Freedom parties.
The list may change, as candidates can withdraw their names through March 29. The Secretary of State may add names as well.
Voters currently registered with one of the above-named political parties will receive a ballot that will have the names of candidates for president for their party only.
To date, presidential candidates who will be on the ballot in California include:
• Democratic Party – Barack Obama
• Republican Party – Newt Gingrich, Fred Karger, Ron Paul, Charles E. “Buddy” Roemer III, Mitt Romney, Rick Santorum.
• American Independent Party – Edward C. Noonan, Mad Max Riekse, Laurie Roth.
• Green Party – Roseanne Barr, Kent Mesplay, Jill Stein.
• Libertarian Party – Roger Gary, R. J. Harris, Gary Johnson, Scott Keller, James Ogle, Carl Person, Bill Still, Barbara Joy Waymire, Lee Wrights.
• Peace and Freedom Party – Stewart Alexander, Ross C. “Rocky” Anderson.
This list, including contact information for each candidate, is available on the county clerk’s webpage at www.co.siskiyou.ca.us.
If a voter decides that he/she wants to vote for a presidential candidate from a political party other than the one he/she currently belongs to, the voter will need to change political affiliation. The only way to do this is to reregister to vote.
While the registration deadline is May 21, I encourage voters to make the change sooner rather than later, so that registration information can be updated before ballots and sample ballots are mailed in early May.
Voter registration cards are available at the Siskiyou County Clerk’s office, library branches, post offices throughout the county, and online at www.sos.ca.gov.
Questions about the June 5 Primary Election? Contact the Siskiyou County Clerk’s office, 510 N. Main Street, Yreka; phone (530) 842-8084.
Clerk's column: Presidential candidates
By Colleen Setzer,