The College of the Siskiyous Drama Club is sponsoring V-Day COS 2012 with a benefit performance of “The Vagina Monologues” by Eve Ensler.

The performance will take place one night only, Feb. 25 beginning at 7:30 p.m. in the COS Weed Campus Kenneth W. Ford Theater.  

Tickets are only available at the door and cost $10 each. There will also be raffle prizes and merchandise for sale. Proceeds will benefit the Siskiyou Domestic Violence & Crisis Center.  The lobby will open at 6:30 p.m. If the performance is snowed out, an alternative performance date will be March 17.

This is the COS Drama Club’s fifth performance of Ensler’s “The Vagina Monologues” for participation in the “V-Day Campaign.”  

V-Day is a global movement that promotes creative events to increase awareness, raise money and revitalize the spirit of anti-violence organizations. V-Day started in 1998 as an outgrowth of Eve Ensler’s 1994 Obie-Award winning play, “The Vagina Monologues.”

Ensler’s idea is to use both art and activism to shift traditional attitudes toward women and violence, according to information provided by College of the Siskiyous.

The Monologues are based on interviews with women from all over the world. It addresses women’s sexuality and the social stigma surrounding rape and abuse.

Thus far the COS Drama Club has raised over $2,200 for anti-violence awareness.  V-Day COS is just one of over 8,500 V-Day benefits between February and April this year in communities and college campuses across the globe in order to raise funds for anti-violence groups in their communities. V-Day’s mission is to end the violence against women and girls in all forms – changing minds, changing laws, and changing lives.  

Since its inception, V-Day has raised over $85 million for women and men who work on the ground to end this violence.

Violence against women and girls – in the home, in a relationship, at school, on the street, during war – occurs regularly and with impunity today, afflicting one in every three women, according to the press release.   

The show is “a lesson for our female students and community members to learn not to be ashamed of their bodies,”?the press release states.

Approximately 90% of the proceeds from V-Day COS will benefit the local Siskiyou Domestic Violence & Crisis Center. The other 10% of the proceeds go back to the V-Day organization to be donated to their “spotlight campaign.”  

As V-Day 2012 approaches its 15th year of activism, their focus spotlights awareness of the common history of racism, poverty, slavery, colonialism, and war that has thrown women into an endless cycle of violence and disempowerment.

This year theatre veteran Kymberly Morgan is directing the monologues. With the biggest cast COS has had and more fundraising than before, she has set the goal to raise at least $1,000 from the event.
Morgan participated in V-Day COS’s 2008 event and was amazed at the show’s transformational power for performers and viewers alike. Her cast of 14 female COS students and staff share her enthusiasm for bringing the show once again to Siskiyou County.  

Morgan invites the public to “please come out and support our show. Witness the monologues for yourself – it could literally change your life.”  

To find out more about V-Day’s global movement visit   www.vspot.org.  

To find out more about COS’s V-Day, contact the COS Public Relations Office at (530) 938-5373.