Tell your kids to tell their friends – all of our community’s children and teens are invited to enjoy free lunches again this summer through the USDA Summer Food program, administered in Siskiyou County by Great Northern Services.
Our community has been helping solve the problem of child hunger locally by putting food on the lunch table for kids during summer break since 2015. This year, thanks to generous donations of time and money from individuals, service groups, and organizations, more of our kids will be fed and in more locations than ever before.
Free lunches will be served this summer as follows:
• In Weed, at Bel Air Park and at Mountain View Apartments from noon to 12:30 p.m.;
• In Mount Shasta, at Mount Shasta Elementary School from noon to 12:30 p.m.;
• In McCloud, at McCloud Elementary School from 11 to 11:30 a.m.;
• In Dunsmuir, outside near the Dunsmuir Recreation and Parks building from 11 to 11:30 a.m.; and
• In Montague, at Montague Elementary School from 11:30 a.m. to noon.
The Summer Food program begins Monday, June 19 and will run every weekday through Aug. 11. Most sites will have activities for the kids on some days after lunch as well. Advance notice will be given if any lunch times or locations change over the course of the summer.
If you have some spare time to help, call GNS Community Services Director Heather Solus at 530-938-4115, ext. 128, and she’ll help you help the children.