The critically acclaimed film, “AlphaGo,” will be shown Friday, May 18, 2018 at the Mount Shasta Library as part of the Siskiyou Science Festival’s week-long events.
Free tickets for the film are available at Mt. Shasta Sisson Museum, Mount Shasta Chamber of Commerce, and Snow Creek Studios in Mount Shasta.
Guests will learn from the film how artificial intelligence and an ancient Chinese board game are connected.
Science Festival activities, including tours and presentations, are planned from Tuesday, May 15 to Sunday, May 20. An All-Day Festival on Saturday will be held on Mt. Shasta Blvd. For details, go to the web page: www.siskiyouscifest.com.
From 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Saturday, May 19, on Mt. Shasta Blvd. Will include activity booths with hands-on activities for all ages and big equipment, too. Mr. Freeze’s “Chilling With Mr. Freeze” – two demonstrations on the main stage, at 10 a.m. and 1 p.m. Live music on the main stage by Groovin’ High and Rockit.
• Wednesday, May 16 – Birds: Local and Spring Migrants, 9 to 11 a.m., Upper Greenhorn Park in Yreka, FWS
• Friday, May 18 – Mt. Shasta Brewery, 360 College Ave. in Weed – The Chemistry of Beer (includes free tasting), 5:30 p.m.
• Saturday, May 19 – Sisson Meadow, with Siskiyou Land Trust, 11 a.m.
• Sunday, May 20 – Shasta Trail Association Hike along Sacramento River, 9:30 a.m. Call Joan Roemer 530-926-0647.
• Tuesday, May 15 at 7 p.m. – Two films: The Beauty and Science of Lenticular Clouds and The Geology of Mount Shasta at Mt. Shasta Sisson Museum, 1 N. Old Stage Rd, Mt. Shasta.
• Wednesday, May 16 at 7 p.m. – Keynote Speaker: Ms. Frizzle, Magic School Bus series (Colleen Countryman, PhD, Physics). Ms. Frizzle Hangs Ten on a Gravitational Wave at Mt. Shasta Sisson Museum, 1 N. Old Stage Rd, Mt. Shasta.
• Thursday, May 17 at 7 p.m. – The Physics of Music – Daniel Axelrod, Professor Emeritus at Mt. Shasta Sisson Museum, 1 N. Old Stage Rd, Mt. Shasta.
• Friday, May 18 at 7 p.m. – Water and Mount Shasta’s Eruptive History – Bill Hirt, Ph.D, Geology, College of the Siskiyous at Mt. Shasta Sisson Museum, 1 N. Old Stage Rd.
• Saturday, May 19 at 7 p.m. – The Hazards of Mount Shasta – United States Geological Survey at Mt. Shasta Sisson Museum, 1 N. Old Stage Rd, Mt. Shasta.
Siskiyou Science Festival is a community-wide effort spearheaded by the Mt. Shasta Sisson Museum. Other sponsors include Mount Shasta Rotary, Shasta Regional Community Foundation, Snow Creek Studies, Dignity Health, Grocery Outlet, Expershare, Pacific Power, Scott Valley Bank, Campbell Global, US Forest Service, Alfred P. Sloan Foundation, Science Festival Alliance, Silver Rockets and Siskiyou Land Trust.
To view the schedule and find out more, go to www.siskiyouscifest.com.