This week’s suggestions are five ways to celebrate this Fourth of July.
1. The big Fourth of July movie this year is “Transformers: Dark of the Moon.” This PG-13 flick is the third movie in the franchise, and director Michael Bay has promised this will be better than the second film, which was not well-received critically.
2. The Fourth of July weekend also is a big sports weekend, and this year’s action includes the Wimbledon finals, the Women’s World Cup (the U.S. team plays Saturday), the start of the 2011 Tour de France, NASCAR’s Daytona 500, Major League Baseball and more. Check your local TV listings for more information.
3. If you want to get out of the house, plan a picnic. If you’re wondering what food to bring on your picnic, you can’t go wrong with hot dogs and ice cream (among other delights) – July is National Hot Dog Month and National Ice Cream Month.
4. The holiday festivals are in full swing, so check the newspaper for listings. These days most towns hold food fests around the Fourth, and there is sure to be parades stepping off near you.
5. The rockets’ red glare will be on full display as people celebrate Independence Day. Most fireworks are planned for Monday, the actual Fourth, but some towns may be putting on shows Sunday. Check the newspaper for listings.
GateHouse News Service