Kody Kaplon, the 22 year-old suspect in the kidnapping and sexual assault of a three year-old Yreka girl in March was held to answer on all charges during a preliminary hearing Thursday, said Siskiyou County District Attorney Kirk Andrus.
In the probable cause hearing, Andrus said he called three witnesses: a sargeant, a detective and an officer from the Yreka Police Department to give their accounts of the situation. Because hearsay is permissible in such hearings, the victim herself was not required to testify, although the officers did recount what they had seen and what the young girl had told them after her recovery, Andrus said.
Kaplon was arrested on March 2 on suspicion of kidnapping after an Amber Alert was issued for a three year-old Yreka girl who had been abducted from her home early that morning. At 4:37 a.m., the girl’s father called Yreka Police Department saying he had just been awakened by his daughter’s screams, and reported that he had seen Kaplon driving away with her in his car, according to a press release from the YPD. An extensive search followed, which included the issuance of an Amber Alert.
Kaplon called the Amber Alert tip line around 2 p.m. from his home in Hornbrook, asking why authorities were looking for him. After making contact with Kaplon, authorities discovered that he may have been in the Hawkinsville-Humbug area, and immediately dispatched searchers to that location.
The girl was recovered at approximately 3:30 p.m. by good samaritans in a remote wooded area near Hawkinsville. She was eventually taken to Fairchild Medical Center for treatment of minor injuries, and was then put in the custody of child protective services.
During his March 4 arraignment at the Siskiyou County Courthouse, Kaplon pled not guilty to seven charges, including kidnapping, attempted murder and child endangerment, as well as sexual intercourse, sexual penetration with a foreign object and two counts of sexual oral copulation on a female victim under 10 years of age, with a special allegation of causing great bodily injury to a child under 5.
On Thursday, the judge in the case found there was sufficient evidence to hold Kaplon over on all seven charges, Andrus said. Kaplon was ordered to appear in court on Tuesday, May 19. He will enter a plea at that time after being read the charges once again. From there, the process of scheduling a trial will commence, Andrus said.