The Mount Shasta boys' 56-44 victory over Hoopa Valley was the only win by a south Siskiyou team on the second day of the 2014 Holiday Tournament. Mount Shasta's girls lost to Klamath Union, 40-30; Weed's boys lost to Hidden Valley 41-38, and Weed's girls lost to Lassen 42-35.

Basketball can be a lot like the weather.

Mysterious forces might leave your watershed as dry as lousy fruit cake for a year or three, then you get 20 inches of rain in two months.

So it was on a much shorter time scale for the Mount Shasta Bears in their second round Holiday Tournament win over the Hoopa Valley Warriors Friday night.

The Mount Shasta boys were the only south county team to record a victory Saturday in Robert E. Novo Gymnasium. Mount Shasta’s girls lost to Klamath Union, 40-30; Weed’s boys lost to Hidden Valley 41-38, and Weed’s girls lost to Lassen 42-35.

Like the storm clouds that go every which way but right over you during a drought, the Mount Shasta boys missed shots left, right, long and short for most of Friday night’s first half.

A 3 by Cesar Gonzalez found the range to tie it 18-18, but Hoopa took a 21-18 lead into the half.

The Bears still had just 18 points when the cloudburst arrived with about 6 minutes to play in the third quarter.

Gonzalez found the range on a pair of 3’s, Johnathan Clemens scored on a 3 and a pair of drives to the hoop, Preston Blakely scored 4 points, and Karl Olguin launched a 3 that fell through as he watched from just in front of the Bears’ student cheering section.

The result was a quick 20 points and a 38-35 lead going into the fourth quarter.

It was 45-38 when the downpour momentarily stopped with about 4 minutes to play. A missed Bears shot was followed by four offensive rebounds and four more misses. Then Hoopa’s Nah Tes Jackson scored 2 of his 17 points from the free throw line to trim the lead to 5.

But Blakely followed with a 3-pointer, then a jumper from inside the top of the key, and the Bears went up 50-41 with 1:22 remaining.

After many hands touched a loose ball, Gonzalez got it and drove from half court for a lay-in, then Clemens converted a steal into a lay-in, and Sean Micklos added a free throw for a satisfying 56-44 win that evened the Bears’ early season record at 3-3.

Gonzalez, Blakely and Clemens combined to score 33 of the Bears’ 38 second-half points.

Gonzalez scored 13 of his game-high 21 in the second half, and 3 of his 4 three-pointers.

Blakely scored 11 of his 14 points in the second half, and Clemens scored all 9 of his points in the second half.

Micklos scored 6, Olguin 3, and sophomore Micheal Fuentes hit a 3 in the second quarter.

The Bears are scheduled to play Saturday’s final Holiday Tournament game against Klamath Union at 5 p.m.