Miss Universe 2014 Paulina Vega, a Colombian native, fired back at Donald Trump again on Monday after he called the beauty queen a "hypocrite."
Vega told Latina Magazine that his reaction is "comical." (emphasis ours)
"The most comical is using the word: hypocrisy. But I think what Iím doing is the least hypocrite thing I can do by using my voice clearly. By not renouncing my crown has nothing to do with what I do or what I donít do. I have a legally binding contract and legal relationship with the organization and itís not so easy for me, like the artists have done, to renounce and say, 'No. Iím not working for you anymore.' I have a contract of 1 year. So it's a much more complicated situation, but we have to understand that Trump is a very polemic person. Iím going to keep going forward and refuse his comments to affect me. Miss Universe the organization and I are much more than what that man says on Twitter."
Last week, Vega distanced herself from Trump and his recent comments about Mexico and Latin America in a statement posted on Instagram in both Spanish and English. Here's an excerpt:
"I find Mr. Trumpís comments unjust and hurtful. As a Colombian and as Miss Universe, I want to show my support and validate the sentiments of the Latin community. The Miss Universe Organization works independently from its owners. For the past 64 years, they have created partnerships with great charity groups and have helped thousands of communities. Their legacy of uniting countries from around the world has been inspiring to many. If the Miss Universe Organization shared any anti-Latin sentiments or any type of racial biases, I wouldnít be in this position today. I strongly believe that dividing and categorizing humankind only holds it back. Acknowledging and embracing the differences that exist across humanity is the first step in real and substantial development. We must strive together in order to improve the common good."
Trump, the co-owner of the Miss Universe Organization, responded on Twitter close to 5 a.m. ET on Sunday by calling Vega a "hypocrite" for keeping her crown.
Trump has come under fire lately for comments he made during his campaign launch as a GOP presidential hopeful. In his speech, he said that people coming to the US from Mexico are rapists and drug runners.
"When Mexico sends its people, they're not sending its best....They're sending people that have lots of problems....They're bringing drugs. They're bringing crime. They're rapists...and some, I assume, are good people."
In the days that followed, Trump didn't back down from his comments either. He said that it's "not just Mexico" but that people could be coming from all over through the border.
As a result, NBC ended its business relationship with Trump. The hugely-popular, NBCUniversal/Trump-owned Miss USA and Miss Universe pageants, which are both viewed by millions, will no longer air on NBC.
In a statement, Trump called NBC "weak" and "foolish" and suggested that he'd take NBCUniversal to court over ending its contract with him.
Univision also said it wouldn't air the pageants because of Trump's "insulting" comments. Trump has since filed a $500 million lawsuit against Univision.
Another blow is that Mexico has also said that its delegate will not participate in the Miss Universe pageant.
What's more is the Miss Universe Organization appears to have made an attempt to also distance itself from Trump. In a statement, the pageant pointed out that it's an independently-run company that's had many owners over its 64-year history. Trump isn't the one running the show.
Even the Miss Universe Organization's president Paula Shugart pointed out that Trump has hardly spent any time with the titleholders.
"I think our reigning Miss Universe has been at events with him maybe three times in the last seven months," Shugart told Entertainment Weekly in a recent interview.
The organization also pointed out that this year's Miss USA class includes six Latinas (four of whom are of Mexican descent). The reigning Miss USA 2014, Nia Sanchez, is also of Mexican decent.
The organization added in its statement: "While world politics and other influences will undoubtedly play a role, the pageant will always seek to transcend controversy. It is unfortunate that recent events beyond our control have only served to negatively impact the women who participate in the pageant, our state directors, our sponsors and our fans."
Last week, little-known network ReelzChannel aid it would broadcast the Miss USA pageant on July 12.
NOW WATCH: I've never watched anime before ó but this new 'Dragonball Z' movie looks like a blast
See Also:Donald Trump fires back at 'hypocrite' Miss Universe pageant winnerTrump says his presidential campaign is 'bad for my brand'This Republican presidential candidate has the sickest Donald Trump burn yet