ORDINANCE NO. 434-2016
AN ORDINANCE OF THE CITY OF WEED AMENDING THE CITY
MANAGER ORDINANCE BY ADDING A SECTION PERTAINING TO
The City Council makes the following findings:
The City Council finds that this ordinance is exempt from review under the California Environmental Quality Act (California Public Resources Code § 21000, et seq., “CEQA”) and CEQA regulations (Title 14 California Code of Regulations § 15000, et seq.) because it adopts a policy and will not make changes to the physical environment.
NOW THEREFORE, THE CITY COUNCIL OF THE CITY OF WEED DOES ORDAIN AS FOLLOWS:
Section 1. Section 2.12.090 is hereby added to Chapter 12 of the Weed Municipal Code to read in its entirety as follows:
2.12.090: Powers and Duties – Human resources officer. A. The city manager is the human resources officer. The city manager may delegate any of the powers and duties conferred upon him as human resources officer under this chapter to any other officer or employee of the city. The human resources officer shall:
1. Administer all the provisions of this chapter and of the personnel rules not specifically reserved to the city council;
2. Prepare and recommend to the city council personnel rules and revisions and amendments to such rules;
3. Prepare or cause to be prepared a position classification plan, including job descriptions, and subsequent revisions of the plan. The plan, and any revisions thereof, shall become effective upon approval by the city council;
4. Provide for the publishing or posting of job vacancies; the receiving of applications therefor; the conducting and grading of interviews and tests; and the hiring of the best qualified candidate for each position.
5. The maintenance of all employment records and the personnel files of each employee.
6. Conduct all investigations regarding potential disciplinary actions including pre-separation hearings.
7. If delegated by the city manager to another employee, the human resources officer shall make recommendations of discipline and separation to the city manager for final action.
B. Personnel rules shall be adopted by resolution of the city council. The human resources officer shall give reasonable written notice to each recognized employee organization affected by the ordinance, rule, resolution or regulation or amendment thereof proposed to be adopted by the city council. Amendments and revisions may be suggested by any interested party and duly considered by the human resources officer who may or may not suggest the adoption of such amendments or revisions. The rules shall establish regulations governing the personnel system including:
1. Preparation, installation, revision, and maintenance of a position classification plan covering all positions in the city service, including employment standards and qualifications for each class;
2. Public announcement of all tests and acceptance of applications for employment;
3. Preparation in conduct of tests and interviews of qualified applicants;
4. Selection and appointment;
5. Establishment of probationary periods;
6. Evaluation of employees during the probationary period;
7. Transfer, promotion, demotion, reinstatement, disciplinary action and lay off of employees in the city service;
8. Separation of employees from the city service;
9. The establishment of adequate personnel records; and
10. The establishment of appeal procedures.
Section 2. The City Attorney is hereby authorized to prepare a summary of the ordinance as required by Government Code Section 36933.
Section 3. The City Clerk is hereby authorized to publish the summary and post certified copies of the full text of the proposed and then adopted ordinances as required by Government Code Section 36933.
Section 4. This ordinance shall take effect and be in force thirty one (31) days after its passage.
Section 5. This ordinance shall be published in the Weed Press, a newspaper of general circulation in the City of Weed, within fifteen (15) days after its passage.
I HEREBY CERTIFY the foregoing ordinance was introduced for first reading at a regular meeting of the City Council of the City of Weed held the 8th day of December, 2016, and thereafter adopted at a regular meeting of said Council held the 9th day of March 2017, by the following vote to wit:
AYES: Council Members Green, Greene, Hall, and Palfini
NOES: Council Member Tavalero
/s/ Ken Palfini, Mayor
ATTEST: /s/ Deborah Salvestrin, City Clerk
7775 msan mr15c