The Siskiyou County Sheriff’s Department, in partnership with the Drug Enforcement Agency and Siskiyou Against Rx Addiction, is sponsoring Siskiyou’s first Prescription Drug Take-Back Day of 2018 scheduled for Saturday, April 28. Medications will be collected from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the locations listed below.
This semiannual, nationwide event addresses both public safety and public health issues surrounding the dangers of storing unused, unwanted or expired medicines in the home.
Rates of prescription drug abuse in the US are alarmingly high, as are the numbers of accidental poisonings and overdoses. Additionally, Americans are now advised that their usual methods for disposing of unused medicines – flushing them down the toilet or throwing them in the trash – pose substantial environmental health hazards.
The April 28 event provides the public with the opportunity to safely and conveniently dispose of medication.
Both prescription and over-the-counter medications will be accepted, including liquids and inhalers. Needles, syringes, and illicit substances (marijuana, methamphetamines, etc.) cannot be accepted.
• Dunsmuir Sheriff’s Substation, 5902 Dunsmuir Avenue.
• Mount Shasta Police Department, 302 N. Mt. Shasta Boulevard.
• Weed Police Department, 550 Main Street.
• Yreka Sheriff’s Office, 305 Butte Street.
• Yreka Police Department, 412 W. Miner Street.
• Luke’s Yreka Drug, 829 S. Main Street.
• Etna Police Department, 448 Main Street.
• Grenada Gardens Senior Living, 424 County Highway A12.
• Tulelake Police Department, 470 C Street.
• Happy Camp Sheriff’s Substation, 30 4th Avenue.
The drop-off process is confidential and secure, and no questions will be asked.
Ten permanent drop-off boxes will be installed throughout the county due to the efforts of Siskiyou County Behavioral Health Services. Thanks to the work of Lt. Darrell Frost, the Siskiyou County Sheriff’s Department will be handling the ongoing maintenance and disposal for the boxes.
For more information contact Lt. Frost at 530-841-2900; or Siskiyou Against Rx Addiction: firstname.lastname@example.org.