Thanksgiving week happenings in the Mt. Shasta area:
Thursday, Nov. 22
• Run for Food – 8th annual Run for Food 5k Run/Walk begins at 8:45 a.m. promptly at the College of the Siskiyous Herschel Meredith stadium (pathway behind gym). Day of race registration: 7:45 to 8:30 a.m. Registration fee: $20. Kids ages 6 to 11 are free, but encouraged to register to qualify for awards. Register online at: www.siskiyoufoodassistance.org.
• Mount Shasta Thanksgiving Dinner – Served from 1 to 5 p.m. at Mount Shasta City Park. Free. All are invited.
• McCloud Thanksgiving Dinner – Served from noon to 2 p.m. at the First Baptist Church. They also have the Christmas Giving Tree, Coats for Kids, and senior baskets.
• The American Legion Cheula Post 92 is cooking up a Thanksgiving dinner at for members and guests beginning at 4 p.m.
Friday, Nov. 23
• Reindeer Walk/Run – Mount Shasta’s annual 5k Reindeer Walk/Run begins at 11 a.m. at Studio B, 321 N. Mt. Shasta Blvd. Santa and his sleigh will be there, and prizes will be given for best ugly Christmas sweaters or holiday costumes. Registration is $15 per person available at Studio B ahead of time or on day of the race. Kids under age 12 can participate free of charge. The event is dog-friendly.
• Winter Magic Festival – Music, food, street vendors and holiday cheer, 3 to 8 p.m., Castle Street, downtown Mount Shasta. The 2nd annual Hometown Holiday Light Parade starts at 6 p.m; followed by the tree lighting ceremony at City Hall. Tickets available for town-wide merchant raffle. The drawing will be held after the tree lighting, must be present to win.
• Athens Country Christmas Display – Opens at 8 p.m. at 936 Douglas Lane in Mount Shasta. The public is invited to stop by with the entire family any other day of the week between 6 and 8 p.m. and enjoy the lights and Christmas music.
Sat., Nov. 24
• Thanksgiving service – An Interfaith Thanksgiving Service begins at 11 a.m. at St. Barnabas Episcopal Church, 701 Lassen Lane in Mount Shasta. Followed by Homemade Pumpkin Pie Reception. All are welcome.
Nov. 23, 24, 25
Christmas tree sale – Mt. Shasta Boy Scouts Troop 97 is selling freshly cut, high quality Christmas trees for $6 per foot as its major fundraiser. Lot is located on corner of W. Lake Street and Commercial Avenue (across from Black Bear Diner) in Mount Shasta. Enthusiastic Boy Scouts, leaders and parent volunteers available to assist. If not sold out – tree sales will continue Dec. 1, 2, 8 and 9.