A single day closure of Yreka High following criminal threats made by one of its students Tuesday had rumors swirling around social media this week. The DA's office explained Friday that many details cannot lawfully be released because the student is a juvenile.

Information released by the Yreka Police Department and the Siskiyou County District Attorney’s Office has shed little light on an incident at Yreka High School Tuesday wherein a student made “specific threats toward Yreka High School students.” The DA explained in a press release Friday that because the student who made the threats is a juvenile, details about the incident cannot lawfully be released.

After receiving information about the alleged threats Tuesday, YPD reported that it investigated the tips, which were "corroborated and found to be credible." YPD then located and arrested the juvenile suspect, who was later transported and booked into juvenile hall on charges of making criminal threats, as defined in section 422 of the California Penal Code.

According to PC Section 422, making a criminal threat means willfully threatening to commit a crime which will result in death or great bodily injury to another person, with the specific intent that the statement be taken as a threat, even if there is no intent of actually carrying it out.

YHS announced Thursday that the school would be closed the following day – Oct. 25 – “to give the legal system the opportunity to resolve the situation.” All sports and activities scheduled for Friday were cancelled as well. The school closure, the nature of the incident and the dearth of details released to the public led to a great deal of speculation and inaccurate rumors being spread on social media throughout the week.

YPD said it presented its investigative findings and police report to Siskiyou County Juvenile Probation as well as the Siskiyou County District Attorney’s Office. YPD then received information Thursday that the juvenile had been released from custody to his parents.

In a post on the YHS Facebook Friday, school officials clarified, “With the number of false rumors going around despite our statement that the issue was handled, it was determined that to be on the safe side we would cancel school. As there was pending action on Friday, this allowed us time to see what the District Attorney’s Office determined in Court. This also gave time for YPD to conduct follow up activities, such as contacting those students and parents that are, were or may have been potentially involved. When a situation becomes a legal matter, we must step back and not interfere with law enforcements investigation.”

The DA’s office reported later Friday, “After reviewing the entire situation, including extensive follow-up investigation by Yreka PD after consultation with this office, we determined that no felony charges are warranted under existing California law. The Yreka Police Department, as well as officials with the Siskiyou County Probation Department, concurred.”

Medford, Oregon based news station KDRV shared some additional comments from Siskiyou County Assistant District Attorney Martha Aker Friday evening. According to KDRV, Aker said there isn't enough evidence to file a detention hearing, which was why the student was released Thursday.

"There is not a crime that fits this fact scenario," Aker said. "Unless we have a crime, we can only hold people for so long."

KDRV additionally reported that Aker said the DA’s office is working with the police and communicating with them on removing firearms from the home where the minor is living.

“We may find there is a case," Aker added. "In the meantime, the goal of everyone is to keep people safe and try to get help for this minor who is obviously in a distressed situation."

While many parents of YHS students took to social media to express shock and frustration with the threats made by the student, many also complained via Facebook that they weren’t properly notified of the incident by YHS.

The high school responded to those complaints as part of its own Facebook post Friday, noting, “...we began notifying parents using our Text System, Facebook, Autodialer and local media after the decision to close school was made. If you did not receive the Remind notification, you need to confirm you are signed up for it. If you did not receive a phone call from the autodialer, you need to confirm your contact information with the office on Monday. We use Facebook as a backup to these two main methods of mass communication."

The post also addressed why more details of Tuesday’s incident weren’t released. “We simply cannot share every bit of information with the general public ... ALL of the students still have a right to privacy. We will and do always contact the parents if there is a clear and present danger to their child. We also contact parents if we see the need to get a student help and support. We don’t take this responsibility lightly, so we also take our time to make sure we get it right. It’s easy to fly off the handle and start ‘doing’ or saying things. Usually, that reaction is a waste of time, and can be bad for students. That is not what we want.”

At the end of the post, school officials reiterated key facts about the incident that had been lost amongst unsubstantiated rumors throughout the week: “1. No gun was ever on campus 2. No student was arrested on campus 3. The student who made threats has not been back on campus since the threats were brought to our attention.”

Siskiyou County District Attorney Kirk Andrus discussed the dissemination of information about the threats in his Friday press release, describing, “As a Siskiyou County public official, I would absolutely disclose to the public any detail that I could in order to provide the public with the information they deserve and to reassure our community as much as possible. However, because the events yesterday involved a juvenile, I cannot lawfully reveal the details of what took place.”

Andrus also confirmed that no weapon was brought onto school grounds and said “to date the investigation has not identified any direct threats as having been made.” Involved agencies remain in contact with the juvenile’s family, he added.

Andrus also mentioned California Senate Bill 110, which he said addressed threats in schools and “would have greatly strengthened the ability for law enforcement, probation officers and the judicial system to intervene when threats of violence are made in California schools.”

“Unfortunately,” Andrus lamented in the press release, “[former California] Governor Jerry Brown vetoed that bill and stated that existing laws were sufficient. This statement was not true. Yesterday’s events represent an anomaly in which some of the tools of government cannot be brought to bear because a governor used his veto power to prevent the intervention.”

Anyone who has any information about the events that transpired Tuesday or any persons involved is asked to contact the Yreka Police Department at (530) 841-2300. The DA’s office said of YPD, “They have been extremely responsive to our requests for immediate, additional information and investigation.”