The Bears play again on Tuesday, Oct. 1 at Weed.

How do you get off to a better start than a team that didn’t lose a game and won a Northern Section Championship? Easy for this year’s Mount Shasta soccer squad: just shut out Modoc 11-0 in the season opener and then avenge the only non-win last year, a 1-1 tie with Tulelake, by dominating a Honker team that had won its first seven games. 
They did it with crisp passing, exceptional quickness, and positional discipline.  Bear players consistently won “50-50” balls and held Tulelake to sevens hots on goal while generating 27 of their own. In an indication of their depth, eleven Bears took a shot on goal in the 5-1 home win on Thursday. 
Nathaniel Bekaert led Mount Shasta’s attack in Modoc on Tuesday, Sept. 17, scoring four goals, while Brice Harkness knocked in three goals and Will Winters two. Hunter Snure and Ian Anderson each added a goal as the Bears took 30 shots on the Modoc goal while surrendering only three. 
Goalkeeper Corey Slabaugh got himself a win and a shutout in his first start and then only allowed one goal at home against Tulelake. The Honkers rolled into town at 7-0 and with a win over a Fall River team that Bear coach Brad Robinson thought would challenge for the Shasta Cascade League title. 
Will Winters scored the first of his four goals 10 minutes into the game. Tulelake scored at 21 minutes to tie the game, and it looked as though it would be a close match, but Mount Shasta scored four straight goals to win going away. 
Bekaert scored at 32:20 to give the Bears a 2-1 lead at halftime. 
They lengthened that lead with three second-half goals while stifling Tulelake. The bigger Honker players were used to muscling the ball away from opponents but couldn’t handle the quickness and deft dribbling of the Bears. 
Will Winters added two second-half scores to turn the third Bear hat trick of the season, joining Harkness and Bekaert. Bekaert got his second goal of the game at 48:00 and both he and Will Winters have six scores on the year. 
Drew Hering, with five shots on goal, and Landon Turner with three shots and some nifty ball-handling also stood out for the Bears. Elyssa Harrison almost broke a 1-1 tie in the first half with a shot that just missed the near post and went off the side of the net.
After the game, coach Robinson called the team into a huddle and told them: “What you just did was amazing.” 
The Bears play again on Tuesday, Oct. 1 at Weed.