5 Things to Do This Weekend (Aug. 22-24)
Here are five ways to have fun this weekend.
1. The big movies opening this week are “Sin City: A Dame to Kill For,” an R sequel to the stylized “Sin City,” again directed by Frank Miller, and starring, among others, Mickey Rourke, Jessica Alba, Josh Brolin and Joseph Gordon-Levitt; “When the Game Stands Tall,” a PG based-on-life sports drama; and “If I Stay,” a PG-13 drama starring the talented Chloë Grace Moretz.
2. The Emmy Awards aren’t technically this weekend (they’re on Monday night on NBC), but you can have some Emmy fun by binge-watching some of the nominees, or by holding a red carpet party where people submit their guesses for the winners.
3. Sunday is National Waffle Iron Day, which is all the reason we need to make some delicious waffles for breakfast (or brunch, lunch or dinner, and perhaps even for snacktime). Get out your waffle iron, stock up on syrup, whipped cream, fresh fruit or your favorite topping, and prepare for a delicious holidya.
4. Most schools are about to kick off the new year, so take this weekend to celebrate the end of summer. Go swimming, go on a picnic, get some ice cream - just do something summery and say goodbye to another great season in the sun.
5. In sports, this weekend we have the Little League Baseball World Series, Major League Baseball, NASCAR, Major League Soccer and preseason football. That’s right - it’s football season again! Check the newspaper for schedules.
More Content Now