Calendar of events updated Nov. 4, 2009
Wed., Nov. 4
• Chili feed and movie -- 6 to 8 p.m., Church of Christ, 19104 First Street, Weed. Movie: “Passion of Christ” (2nd half). Child care provided. A free event. Info: 938-3119.
• Bugs, weeds, springs and things -- Join the River Exchange at its upcoming Sustainable Watershed Series for a look into two environmentally fascinating topics — the soil foodweb and McCloud’s hidden springs. Begins at 6:30 p.m. at Brown Trout Cafe, 5841 Sacramento Avenue, Dunsmuir. Free. Info: 235-2012.
Book fair -- Mercy Mt. Shasta Auxiliary will host a Book Fair from 7 a.m. to 2 p.m. in the hospital cafeteria. Gift items and books available.
Astronomy meeting -- Mt. Shasta Stargazers club meeting, 6:30 p.m., Language Quest, 309 N. Mt. Shasta Blvd., Mount Shasta. Includes brief talk on “The Birth and Death of Stars” by Alan Eddy. Refreshments served. All are welcome to this free event. Info: www.mtshastastargazers.com
Women in Business -- Women in Business Network meeting, 8:30 a.m., The Woodsman Hotel, 1121 S. Mt. Shasta Blvd., Mount Shasta. Author Noorah Hansen will speak on Success is a State of Mind, learning powerful language for achieving your goals. Info: 926-3609.
Thurs., Nov. 5
• Soup lunch & bazaar -- Hosted by McCloud Presbyterian Women’s Association, 11 a.m., McCloud Presbyterian Church. Menu: six different soups, chili, bread and homemade dessert. Cost: $6. Bazaar features a variety of handmade items that can be purchased as Christmas gifts.
• Fire safe meeting -- Mount Shasta Area Fire Safe Council will meet at 7 p.m. at Mount Shasta City Park, recreation building. Key topic: the South Mount Shasta Fuel Reduction Project that has received grant funding approval. Info: 926-2089.
• Meet and greet published poets -- Hosted by California Poets in the Schools, 6:30 to 8:30 p.m., Mount Shasta Library. Featuring Nikolas Allen, Jill Gardner and more. Coffee and tea served. Info: 926-2031.
Horsemen meeting -- Backcountry Horsemen will meet at 7 p.m. at Fort Jones City Hall. Guest speaker: Ken Oliver of Oliver’s Saddlery in Montague. Includes election of board of directors. All members are encouraged to attend. Info: 467-3137.
Spaghetti dinner -- Dunsmuir Elementary School Spaghetti Dinner fundraiser, 5:30 to 7 p.m., Dunsmuir Community Building. Teachers and staff will serve spaghetti, salad, bread and dessert. Cost: $7.50, adults; $5, kids. Raffle for bike donated by Thriftway. Proceeds go to purchase instructional materials.
Meditation and retreat -- Tulku Sang Ngag Rinpoche teaches Calm Abiding Meditation on Thursday, Nov. 5 at 6:30 p.m. Suggested donation, $7. Vajra Armor Healing retreat, Friday, Saturday and Sunday, Nov. 6, 7 and 8, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Suggested donation, $135. Location: Tara’s Refuge, 133 Madison Drive, Mount Shasta. Info: email@example.com or 926-5196.
Fri., Nov. 6
Make a deal -- Snip ‘N Save’s Let’s Make a Deal Day, 11 a.m. to 5 p.m., 315 Chestnut Street, Mount Shasta. Make a deal on every item in the store. Proceeds benefit the Siskiyou Spay Neuter Incentive Program. All donations are tax deductible. Info: 926-0400.
Sat., Nov. 7
• Craft fair -- Dunsmuir’s 32nd annual Holiday Craft Fair 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., Dunsmuir Community Building, 4835 Dunsmuir Avenue. In addition Dunsmuir Rotary Club will be selling hot food, snacks and beverages. Info: 235-4889 or 235-2239.
• Saturday night dinner -- The Coffee Connection’s monthly dinner, 5 to 7:30 p.m., 408 N. Mt. Shasta Blvd., Mount Shasta. Menu includes oven baked chicken with herbs and butter potatoes, green beans, roll, beverage and ice cream. Cost: $7, adults; $4, kids 10 and under.
Turkey shoot -- Mt. Shasta Longrifles invites those interested in blackpowder-muzzleloading rifle shooting to a Turkey Shoot at 10 a.m. at Snowman’s Hill Gun Range. Includes a Rifle Shoot for turkeys and String Shoot for salami and cheese. Refreshments available. Info: 926-6942, 926-2149 or 235-4546.
Medication disposal -- Operation Clean Cabinet, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., Siskiyou Masonic Lodge, 629 Alder Street, Mount Shasta. Drop off unwanted prescription medications for responsible disposal. Sponsored by the Siskiyou County Sheriff’s Department and Siskiyou County-wide Interagency Narcotics Task Force. Both agencies will be on hand for assistance in disposal and questions regarding prescription medication fraud and abuse.
Harvest dinner -- Mount Shasta Bioregional Ecology Center’s 5th annual Harvest Dinner Benefit and Dance Party, Mount Shasta City Park, main lodge. No-host bar and preview of desserts and silent auction items, 5 p.m.; organic dinner with live jazz music, 6 p.m.; followed by the Ecology Center’s state of the bioregion update. Dance party features singer/songwriter Joanne Rand. Tickets: $40, each; $75, couple, available by cash or check at Village Books in Mount Shasta; or by credit card: 926-5655. Info/to volunteer: 916-4122.
Nov. 7 and 8
Garage and bake sale -- Sisson Museum’s Christmas Garage Sale with a special Bake Sale, Saturday and Sunday, Nov. 7 and 8, 1 to 4 p.m., Sisson Museum, 1 N. Old Stage Road, Mount Shasta. Indoors, heated, lots of decorations and deals for the thrifty shopper. All benefits support museum. Info: 926-5508.
Sun., Nov. 8
• Center for Positive Living -- Sunday service, 10 a.m., 312 W. Alma Street, Mount Shasta. Guest speaker: Rev. Lynn Fritz from the Redding Church of Religious Science. Info: 926-4854.
Mon., Nov. 9
• Choir practice -- Choir practice for the Dunsmuir Christmas Concert takes place at 7 p.m. on Mondays and Thursdays at the Dunsmuir United Methodist Church on Oak and Shasta streets in Dunsmuir.
Wed., Nov. 11
• Motorcycle meeting -- Siskiyou Lady Riders chapter of Women in the Wind monthly meeting, 6:30 p.m., Black Butte Saloon, Main Street, Weed. Plans for outings and safety discussed. The group encourages all lady motorcyclists to attend. Info: 926-0877.
• Spiritual talk -- Writer-filmmaker Joel Leskowitz of Ashland, is offering two free public talks about his experience with meditation, ascension, etc. at 2 and 7 p.m. at Shasta Yoga Center, 201 N. Mt. Shasta Blvd.
Veterans Day service -- 11 a.m., Living Memorial Sculpture Garden located one mile north of Road A12 on Highway 97. Honor Guard and Gun Salute by Marine Corps League, Siskiyou Detachment 936. Innovation and benediction by Robert Menzies. Taps by Dr. Scott Durbin. Those wishing to be seated must bring chairs.
Free HIV testing -- Siskiyou County Public Health and Community Development is offering free rapid oral HIV testing at 411 Ski Village Drive, Suite C, Mount Shasta. For appointment: 926-4588, 841-2136 or 1-800-442-2333. Testing will also be offered on Dec. 10.
• Contra dance -- Siskiyou Snow Dog Sporting Association’s 2nd annual Contra Dance and Auction fundraiser, 6 to 10 p.m., Mount Shasta High School gym. Begins with reception and viewing of live auction items and silent auction items bidding. Contra dancing lesson, 6:30 p.m.; dance begins at 7 p.m. Tickets available at the door: $10, each; $15, couples; $25, families.
To donate auction items: 598-0466; for pickup, 467-3009. Proceeds benefit the 2010 Siskiyou Sled Dog Races scheduled for Jan. 22-24. To volunteer or for info call the above numbers.
Holiday dinner dance -- Yreka Chamber of Commerce 16th annual Holiday Dinner Dance, 5:30 p.m. Includes silent auction, dessert auction and raffles.
Nov. 16 and 17
• CPR and first aid -- American Red Cross Community CPR and First Aid Class, 6 p.m. both days, Chapter Headquarters, 1000 S. Main Street, Yreka. CPR/AED Certificate good for one year. First Aid Certificate good for three years. Info: 842-4476.
Media council meeting -- Siskiyou Media Council - MCTV15 holds its monthly orientation meeting on the third Tuesday monthly, 7 to 9 p.m., College of the Siskiyous, LRC 2, television studio, Weed. The public is invited to learn about opportunities available for volunteers to support its mission, learn new technology skills, assist in TV production, host shows, etc. Refreshments served. Info: 938-5910 or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
SIR meeting -- Sons In Retirement Branch 154 regular meeting, 11 a.m., Lalo’s Restaurant, Mount Shasta. Luncheon cost: $12 each, plus tip. Speaker is John Schuller, retired Air Force pilot and former airspace manager at Beale Air Force Base. He is involved in the coordination of international high altitude unmanned reconnaissance flights. All retired men are invited to attend and consider joining the club. Info: 926-6511, 926-5330 or visit www.mountshastasirs.org
• Wheat-gluten allergy support -- Group meets from 6 to 8 p.m. at Lynnie’s Bakery, 5345 Dunsmuir Ave., Dunsmuir. Includes sharing of recipes; gluten free product sources; and discussion of gluten intolerance. Info: 842-2662 or 938-2637 (leave daytime phone number).
• Town-wide open house -- 4 to 7 p.m. at participating Mount Shasta businesses. Edibles and discounts provided. Shoppers will have an opportunity to win a gift certificate for their favorite business or businesses. Mount Shasta Chamber of Commerce encourages area residents do their holiday shopping with local merchants.
Service of Chant -- And meditation in the Style of Taize, 7 p.m., St. Anthony’s Catholic Church, 507 Pine Street, Mount Shasta. Interfaith service of sung prayer and silence. All are welcome. Info: 926-5720.
• Railroad display -- Open 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., Dunsmuir Railroad Display Room, adjacent to Amtrak Depot. Featuring historic locomotive photos, railroad memorabilia and equipment. Info: 235-0929.
• Pancake breakfast -- Mt. Shasta Fire District’s Pancake Breakfast fundraiser, 7 a.m. to noon, 600 Michelle Drive, Mount Shasta. Cost: $6, adults; $5, seniors and kids under 8. Raffle tickets for truck load of wood available at the door. Proceeds go towards a new engine. Info: 926-0702.
• Thanksgiving dinner -- Weed’s annual Community Thanksgiving Dinner, 1 to 3 p.m., Weed Mercantile Mall, 590 Main Street. Menu includes turkey, stuffing, gravy, mashed potatoes, green beans, rolls and dessert. Everyone is welcome. Deliveries made to anyone who is unable to attend. Donations gratefully accepted for turkeys or desserts. For info, to donate, or for dinner deliveries: 938-3229. Sponsored by Weed Revitalization Coalition and Weed Rotary Club.
• MSFD fundraising concert -- Mount Shasta Fire District’s Summer in the Fall fundraising concert, 5:30 p.m., Mount Shasta High School. Featuring Summer Schappell and the Wild Side Band. Opening attraction by Stereotype. Tickets: $15 each; $10 with student ID, available at the door and 600 Michelle Drive, Mount Shasta. Info: 261-0376 or www.summerschappell.com
Parade entries sought -- Yreka Chamber of Commerce is seeking entries for its annual Yreka Holiday Parade scheduled for Nov. 28 (rain, snow or shine). The chamber encourages businesses, individuals, schools, churches and service clubs to participate. No entry fee. Entry deadline is Nov. 20. Info: 842-1649.
Trader’s co-op -- 1 to 4 p.m., The Flying Lotus, 315-A S. Mt. Shasta Blvd.(upstairs) in Mount Shasta. Exchange your homemade, grown or crafted goods and services with others in the community. Info: 926-6836 or 926-0527.
Tree lighting -- Lake Shastina’s 4th annual Christmas Tree Lighting, 6:30 p.m., Community Services Department Administration Center, Big Springs and Everhart Drive. Christmas caroling until Santa arrives in fire truck. Hot dogs and warm chocolate offered by Lake Shastina Volunteer Fire Department.
• SMA Christmas party -- Siskiyou Motorcycle Association’s annual Christmas Party and Chinese Auction, Sons of Italy Hall, Clay Street in Weed. For ages 21 and over only. Doors open at 5 p.m.; tri-tip/chicken dinner ($10) served at 6 p.m.; followed by Chinese auction, raffle prizes and 2010 Harley Dyna drawing. Bar drinks available.
Admission: $10 or a new unwrapped toy of same value (no stuffed animals). Proceeds go to Christmas gifts for needy Siskiyou County youth. Info: 938-4226.
Holiday tasting and boutique -- Fairchild Medical Center Scott Valley Guild’s Holiday Tasting Event and Boutique, 11 a.m. to 5 p.m., Porcupine Gulch Ranch, Gazelle (off I-5, take Louie Road east, go 2-1/4 miles).
Decadent tasting of chocolate and truffles, wine, cheese, coffee, tea, beer and goodies. Antiques from Heritage House for sale along with boutique and food items. Raffles and door prizes. Tickets: $20, available at the door; in Mount Shasta at My Favorite Things; in Yreka at Village Grind, Fairchild Medical Center gift shop, chamber of commerce. Info: 467-5700.
• Gala and dinner -- The Dunsmuir Chamber of Commerce is celebrating its 60th anniversary with a gala celebration and dinner, 6 p.m., Sengthong’s Restaurant, downtown Dunsmuir. Guest of honor is Vic Petrovic, found of the chamber.
The menu offers prime rib or wild salmon for $25; chicken or vegetarian summer rolls with tofu for $22 and includes salad, entree, dessert and coffee, tea or soda. Tax and tip included. Limited seating. Tickets must be pre-purchased by Dec. 1.
The event includes Dunsmuir Business of the Year announced, chamber volunteers recognized, 2010 board of directors introduced, and the city council honored. Tickets/info: 235-2177.
• Indicates new listing.
American Legion -- Chula Unit 92 meets 1st Monday monthly, 7 p.m., American Legion Hall Annex, McCloud.
Al-Anon family group -- 7 p.m., Church of the Nazerene, 415 Evergreen Lane, Yreka.
McCloud senior van -- Senior citizens of McCloud can catch the Senior Van to the Mount Shasta Senior Nutrition Center for bingo and lunch. Pick-up, 10:15 a.m. at McCloud Community Resource Center, 304 West Minnesota Ave. Info: 964-3250.
Mount Shasta Lions Club -- Meets 1st and 3rd Monday monthly, spring through fall. November through April, 1st Monday monthly. No meeting in December. Meetings held at 6 p.m. at The Tree House, 111 Morgan Way, Mount Shasta. Visitors welcome; 926-3982.
Senior exercise class -- Senior women exercise class, 10 a.m., Dunsmuir Recreation Building. Classes are also held on Wed. and Fri.; 235-2816 or 235-4309.
Helmet safety class -- Offered by Weed Community Resource Center, 720 S. Davis Ave., Suite A, Weed. By appointment, 938-2426.
Peace meetings -- Women Building Bridges for Peace meet 2nd and 4th Mon. evenings, monthly, call for time and location; 926-3417 or 926-6836.
Children’s story hour -- For ages 2 to 8; 10:30 to 11:30 a.m., Mount Shasta library; 926-1400.
Railroad breakfast -- A get together for retired and working railroad crews out of Dunsmuir. Meet last Mon. monthly, 10 a.m., Tree House, Mount Shasta.
Narcotics Anonymous -- 7 p.m., 312 Alma St., Mount Shasta; pager: 842-7502.
Motorcycle meeting -- CMA Siskiyou Servants business meeting, Tuesday before the 1st Saturday monthly, 6 p.m., Purple Plum Restaurant, Yreka; 938-0601.
Siskiyou Adult School -- 4 to 8 p.m., Jefferson High School, 720 Rockfellow Dr., Mount Shasta. Earn high school diploma or study for GED. Enrollment open at any point during 2009-2010 school year; 926-0425.
Al-Anon family group -- For women only. 3 p.m., Dunsmuir Library, 5714 Dunsmuir Avenue, Dunsmuir.
Media council meeting -- Siskiyou Media Council/MCTV15 orientation meeting and training, 3rd Tuesday monthly, 7 p.m., MCTV studio, Learning Resource building, College of the Siskiyous, Weed; 938-5910.
Story time -- 10:30 to 11 a.m., McCloud Library. McCloud Community Resource Center invites parents and their children for stories and art projects; 964-3250.
Siskiyou Golden Seniors -- Meets 1st Tuesday monthly. Call 938-3588 for meeting time and location.
Rotary -- Mount Shasta Rotary Club meets weekly, 12:15 p.m., Lalo’s Restaurant, 520 N. Mt. Shasta Blvd., Mount Shasta; 926-6122.
AA Women’s Group -- Noon, Kids’ Factory, 4103 Pine Street, Dunsmuir; 235-4005.
Alcoholics Anonymous -- 7 to 8 p.m., Lake Shastina Community Center, 15244 Driftwood Lane, Lake Shastina; 1-800-680-8955.
Book sale -- Snip ‘n Save variety store, 1/2 off book sale, 11 a.m. to 5 p.m., 315 Chestnut Street, Mount Shasta.
Toddler playgroup -- Facilitated by an Early Childhood professional. Join parents and their children aged 0-5. From 10 a.m. to noon, Kids’ Factory, 4103 Pine St., Dunsmuir; 235-4005.
Women veterans -- Women Veterans of Northern California meet 1st Tue. monthly, noon, Round Table Pizza, Mount Shasta. Open to all female veterans, any era, any country.
Siskiyou Domestic Violence and Crisis Center -- Peer group counseling session, 6 to 7:30 p.m., 209 Third St., Yreka; 842-6629 or hotline, 1-877-842-4068.
Movement and music class -- For toddlers and their parents, 10 a.m., Mount Shasta Community Resource Center, 109 E. Lake Street, Mount Shasta. Fee: $10 per class, includes snack. Sponsored by Siskiyou Arts Bus Project and supported by Siskiyou Arts Council; 859-2309.
Genealogy library -- LDS Church, 214 Adams Dr., Mount Shasta. Open Wednesdays, 6 to 8 p.m.; Thursdays, noon to 4 p.m.; and Sundays, 1:30 to 3:30 p.m. Help with genealogical needs. Free. Other times by appointment: 926-0776.
Genealogy research -- The Genealogical Society of Siskiyou County Research Center, 912 S. Main Street in Yreka is open 4 to 8 p.m. on the 1st and 3rd Wednesday monthly. Staff available to help with research problems; 842-0277.
Craft and story time -- For young children, 1 to 2 p.m., Dunsmuir Library, Dunsmuir. Snacks and complimentary book provided for each child; 235-2035 or 235-4005.
A Course in Miracles -- Study group, call 938-1528.
Chess club -- Mount Shasta Chest Club meets 6 p.m., George Washington Manor, 1020 Kingston Rd., Mount Shasta. Round Robin Tournament; 926-3608.
Laughter Yoga Club -- Meets 9 to 9:55 a.m., The Wellness Center, 633 Lassen Lane, Mount Shasta. Combines laughter exercises with yogic breathing. Free; 926-4770 or www.practicelaughter.com
Women in Business Breakfast -- Meets 1st Wed. monthly, 8:30 a.m., Woodsman Hotel, 1121 S. Mt. Shasta Blvd., Mount Shasta. Forum for local business women to meet, network and exchange information; 926-1035 or 261-1617.
Helmet safety class -- Offered by Weed Community Resource Center, 720 S. Davis Ave., Suite A, Weed. By appointment, 938-2426.
Toddler playgroup -- 10 to 11 a.m., Weed Community Resource Center, 720 S. Davis Ave., Suite A, Weed. For ages 0-5 and parents/caretakers. Age-appropriate activities, games, crafts, story time, and more; 938-2426.
Toddler play group -- 1 to 2:30 p.m., McCloud Community Resource Center, 304 W. Minnesota Ave., McCloud. For parents and children and siblings, birth to 5 years. Arts and crafts, story time, music and interactive play. Refreshments available; 964-3250.
Relationship support -- Relationship Support Group for Women, 2:30 to 4 p.m., Mount Shasta Resource Center Annex, 107 East Alma St.; 926-1400.
Senior day -- Snip-n-Save variety store, Senior Day special, 25 percent off, age 62 or older. 11 a.m. to 5 p.m., 315 Chestnut Street, Mount Shasta.
Buddhist meditation instruction -- 6:30 p.m. at Shasta Abbey; 926-4208.
New mom’s support -- Group meets 1st and 3rd Wed., 10 to noon, Mt. Shasta Community Resource Center, 432 N. Mt. Shasta Blvd., Suite B, Mount Shasta. Share challenges, questions and celebrations with new moms. Dads are welcome; 926-1400.
Amateur radio -- Mt. Shasta Amateur Radio Club weekly informal radio net meets on the air, 7 p.m. The 2-meter net is conducted on the club’s repeater, 146.88 mHz no PL. Net control is Larry Marks, W6VTJ (Whiskey six Victor Tango Juliet.). Amateur radio operators with license and within reach of repeater are invited.
Parent support group -- Problem-solve issues of parenting, 1 to 2 p.m., Kids’ Factory, 4103 Pine St., Dunsmuir; 235-4005. Free.
Rotary -- Dunsmuir Rotary Club meets weekly, 7:05 a.m., Hitchin’ Post Restaurant, Dunsmuir; 235-2786.
Republicans -- Siskiyou County Republican Central Committee meet 3rd Wed. monthly. Dinner, 6 p.m.; business meeting, 7 p.m.; 926-4575 or 842-4400.
Narcotics Anonymous -- 7 p.m., Grace Presbyterian Church, 1090 N. Davis Ave., Weed. Call pager, 842-7502.
Masonics -- Siskiyou Masonic Lodge #297 meet 1st Wed. monthly, 7 p.m., Mount Shasta Community Building, 629 Alder St.; 926-2419.
Bridge club -- Mount Shasta Duplicate Bridge Club, 7 p.m., Mount Shasta City Park recreation building. Visitors welcome; 926-2767.
St. Anthony bingo -- 6:15 p.m., doors open, 5:30 p.m., St. Anthony Parish Hall, Mount Shasta.
Wheat-gluten allergy support -- Group meets 3rd Thursday in November, 6 to 8 p.m., Lynnie’s Bakery, 5345 Dunsmuir Ave., Dunsmuir. Sharing of recipes; gluten free product sources; discussion of gluten intolerance; 842-2662 or 938-2637 (leave daytime phone number).
Ladies Night -- 7 p.m., Cedar Lanes and Ten Pin Sport Bar, 137 Main Street, Weed. Free bowling and half priced drinks for ladies only; 938-3278.
Thursday walking group -- 8:30 to 10 a.m. Meet at McCloud Community Resource Center. Slow walkers and all ages welcome; 964-3250.
Al-Anon family group -- 7 p.m., Eskaton George Washington Manor, multi-use room, Building 6, 1020 Kingston Road, Mount Shasta; 859-1303, 1-888-425-266 or www.al-anon.alateen.org
Order of Eastern Star -- Meets 2nd and 4th Thursday monthly at the Masonic Hall, 629 Alder Street, Mount Shasta. 6 p.m., refreshments; 7 p.m., meeting; 261-0023.
Catholics Invited Home -- 7 p.m., St. Anthony’s Hall, Pine Street, Mount Shasta. For non-practicing Catholics. To pre-register: 926-2584 or 926-4477.
Pajama story hour -- 1st Thurs. monthly, 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. Mount Shasta library. Stories and activities. Free books and snacks provided. Wear your pajamas; 926-1400.
Friends of the Library -- Mount Shasta Branch Library meets 2nd Thurs. monthly, 7 p.m., 515 E. Alma Street, Mount Shasta. All are invited to attend; 926-3221.
Kirtan chanting -- In call-and-response style. Led by Sahadev. Info: 235-0554.
Metal detecting -- Siskiyou County Relic and Recovery Club meets 1st Thurs. monthly, 7 p.m., Denny’s Restaurant, Yreka; 435-2461.
Off-road riding -- Siskiyou County Off-Road Riders meet 3rd Thurs. monthly, 6:30 p.m., Yreka Extreme Sports, 1101 S. Main St., Yreka. A non-profit organization promoting safe and responsible family oriented off road riding; 938-4256 or 459-5306.
Kids clothes -- Snip-n-Save variety store, Kids Clothes -1/2 off special, 11 a.m. to 5 p.m., 315 Chestnut Street, Mount Shasta.
Rotary -- Weed Rotary Club meets weekly, 12:15 p.m., Dos Amigos Restaurant, 176 Vista Dr., Weed; 938-0359.
Brown bag for seniors -- Shasta Senior Nutrition Food Bank brown bag distributions, 1st Thurs. monthly, 10:30 to 11:30 a.m., Weed Mercantile Mall; 938-3229.
Al-Anon meeting -- 12 step support group for family and friends of alcoholics, 7 p.m., Eskaton President George Washington Manor, 1020 Kingston Rd., Manor 2, recreation room (upper parking lot) Mount Shasta; 859-1303.
Bingo in McCloud -- American Legion Hall in McCloud. Doors open, 5:30 p.m.; early birds, 6:30 p.m., (530) 859-0568.
Square dance -- Dudes and Daisies Square Dance Club meets at Mount Shasta City Park, Dudes and Daisies Lodge. Beginning workshop, 7 p.m.; Mainstream and plus, 8 p.m.; 926-3959.
Republican meeting -- South Siskiyou Republican Women Federated monthly luncheon general meeting, 1st Friday monthly, 11:30 a.m., Mount Shasta Resort; 926-6441.
Medicine Buddha session -- 5 to 6 p.m., 1520 Shasta Acres Rd., Mount Shasta. All are welcome for meditation and chanting. To add a name to prayer list or to participate: (530) 859-1007; 926-1271. Sponsored by Mount Shasta Friends of Tibetan Culture (www.mountshastafriendsoftibetanculture.org).
Energy exercise class -- Polarity Energy Exercises, 4 to 4:50 p.m., The Wellness Center, 633 Lassen Lane, Mount Shasta. Instructor: Micah Dobush. Free; 926-1447.
Bargain day -- Snip-n-Save variety store, Let’s Make a Deal Day, 11 a.m. to 5 p.m., 1st Friday monthly, 315 Chestnut Street, Mount Shasta.
Kiwanis -- Weed/Lake Shastina Kiwanis Club meets weekly, 12:15 p.m., Dos Amigos Restaurant, 176 Vista Dr., Weed; 938-2218.
Parkinson’s support -- Parkinson’s Support Group of Siskiyou County meets 2nd Friday monthly, 2 p.m., Lake Shastina Community Bible Church, 5826 Jackson Ranch Road. Free. Refreshments served; 938-0368 or 938-4949.
Bedding day -- Snip-n-Save variety store, bedding - 50 percent off special, 11 a.m. to 5 p.m., 315 Chestnut Street, Mount Shasta.
Celebrate Recovery -- Biblically based 12-step program for those with desire to overcome habits, hurts and hang-ups. Weed Berean Church, 750 S. Weed Blvd., Weed. BBQ, 5 p.m.; main group meeting, 6 p.m.; small groups, 7 p.m.; cafe berea, 8 p.m.; 926-4021 or 938-4591.
Christian fellowship -- Game room, fellowship, and food. 11:30 a.m. to 4 p.m., Coffee Connection, Mount Shasta. Teens welcome.
Gazelle Grange bingo -- 1st and 3rd Fri. monthly. Early birds, 6:30 p.m.; regular bingo, 7 p.m. One progressive blackout paying $250. Power ball game. Snack bar open, 5 to 8 p.m.; 435-2562 or 842-8223.
TOPS -- Take off pounds sensibly, 9:45 a.m., Mount Shasta City Park, lower lodge. Visitors welcome; 926-5374 or 926-3970.
Motorcycle meeting -- Siskiyou Motorcycle Association meets 2nd Saturday monthly, 10 a.m., Cedar Lanes bowling ally,137 Main Street, Weed; siskiyou-motorcycle-association.org
Genealogy research -- The Genealogical Society of Siskiyou County Research Center, 912 S. Main Street in Yreka is open 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. weekly (except holidays). Staff available to help with research problems; 842-0277.
Thrift store sale -- Siskiyou Humane Society Thrift Store’s $3 a bag clothing sale, 11 a.m. to 4 p.m., 1208 N. Mt. Shasta Blvd., Mount Shasta (next to shelter); 926-8878.
Toddler playgroup -- 11 a.m. to noon, 1st Sat. monthly, Weed Community Resource Center, 720 S. Davis Ave., Suite A, Weed. For ages 0-5 and parents/caretakers. Age-appropriate activities, games, crafts, story time, and more; 938-2426.
Children’s art explores -- 10 to 11 a.m., 2nd Sat. monthly, Weed Community Resource Center, 720 S. Davis Ave., Suite A, Weed.
Christian fellowship -- Game room, fellowship, and food; 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. and 7 to 11 p.m., Coffee Connection, Mount Shasta. Teens welcome.
Clothing bag sale -- Snip ‘N Save variety store, $3 bag sale on colored tagged clothes, 11 a.m. to 5 p.m., 115 Chestnut Street, Mount Shasta.
TelosNow -- Live audio broadcast on local and world issues, 1:30 to 3 p.m. Log onto telosnow.com or tune in to MCTV Channel 15.
Video Satsang -- With Gangaji, 10 a.m., 5401 Dunsmuir Ave., Dunsmuir; 235-4253.
Men’s group -- Non-religious, light hikes, drumming, potlucks and activities. Open to suggestions; 938-9566.
Celebrate worship -- 9:30 a.m., Hope Community Church, 974 Lassen Lane, Mount Shasta. Live contemporary band; 926-2847.
Buddhist services and Dharma talk -- 10:30 a.m. at Shasta Abbey; 926-4208.
Bingo -- Dunsmuir Eagles Hall, 5941 Sacramento Ave. Hall opens, noon; games start, 1 p.m.
Masons breakfast -- 1st Sun. monthly hosted by Siskiyou Masonic Lodge #297. 8 a.m. to 1 p.m., Community Building, 629 Alder St., Mount Shasta.
Narcotics Anonymous -- 7 p.m., St. John’s Parish Hall, 4605 Shasta Ave., Dunsmuir. Pager: 842-7502.