Plenty to do in South Siskiyou this weekend
This weekend promises to be a busy one in south Siskiyou County. You can learn how to save seeds, try out roller derby, help clean up Panther Meadows or the Sacramento River, take a guided bike ride, hit a garage sale, or escort your furry friend to Paws in the Park.
Here’s a run down of all the events happening this Saturday and Sunday, Sept. 15 and 16.
Sat., Sept. 15
• Seed saving -- Free Seed Saving Workshop with Wendy Crist, 3 to 5 p.m., Spring Hill Nursery, 1234 Nixon Road, Mount Shasta. Learn about flower types, isolation, pollination. Focus is on growing, drying, harvesting and storing seeds. Handouts provided. Bring a chair. Info: 926-2565.
• Mighty Rollers event -- Mount Shasta Might Rollers ’80s Dance Party Recruitment Night, 4 to 6 p.m., Siskiyou Ice Rink, Shastice Park, Mount Shasta. Skates and gear available. Pull on your most fab pair of leg warmers, tubular neon shades, totally tease your hair to the max. Door prizes, food, games, music and more. Seeking volunteers to help with events. Info: 925-1385 or 864-3347.
• Restoration day -- 16th annual Panther Meadows Community Restoration Day and Plant Walk, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., on Mt. Shasta. A collaboration of the Honor Our Mountain Environment Stewardship Project of Mount Shasta Bioregional Ecology Center and USFS Mount Shasta Ranger District. Volunteers can either meet in lower Ski Bowl parking area at 10 a.m. or carpool at 9:30 a.m. from Mount Shasta Bioregional Ecology Center. Info: 926-5655.
• Garage sale -- Benefit Garage Sale for Siskiyou Christian School, 8 a.m. to 1 p.m., Hope Community Church, 974 Lassen Lane, Mount Shasta. Donated items may be left on front porch of church. No appliances or clothing. (Clothing accepted later for Clothing Give-Away in October).
• Growers market -- Dunsmuir Growers Market, 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., next to Children’s Playground, Dunsmuir Avenue. Fresh-picked produce and crafts. Entertainment by Dave Theno and friends from 10 a.m. to noon. Info on participating as grower or crafts vendor: 235-4034.
• Railroad display -- Dunsmuir Railroad Display Room is open 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Amtrak Depot on Sacramento Avenue. Historic railroad photographs and memorabilia. See work-in-progress Dunsmuir Museum’s completed panels on local Indian history, Dunsmuir families, etc.
• Dunsmuir Railroad Depot Historical Society requests the public to “ride its membership train.” Funds raised continues maintenance of Dunsmuir’s Amtrak Depot, display room and museum. Send $10 check to PO Box 324, Dunsmuir, CA 96025. Info: 235-0929.
• River clean-up -- 20th annual Great River Clean-Up, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Volunteers register, 9 to 10:30 a.m., Dunsmuir City Park. Garbage bags, gloves and river access maps provided. Complimentary lunch at noon. Door prizes and awards for Find the Golden Rock Contest and best refuse found. Activities for kids and adults, 12:30 to 3 p.m. Sponsored by River Exchange and Businesses-That Care. Info: 235-2012.
• Paws in the Park -- Siskiyou Humane Society’s annual Paws in the Park pet walk, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Mount Shasta City Park. Walk begins promptly at 11 a.m. Free lunch of hot dogs, chips and soda. Agility and Sheriff’s K-9 Unit demos, raffle, prizes, games for pets and owners. Live music by Mike Sliewski and Robby Eller. Admission: $2, owner and one pet; additional pets, $1 each. Info: 926-4052.
Sun., Sept. 16
• Eckankar -- Community HU, 10 a.m.; worship service, 11 a.m., Holiday Inn Express, 707 Montague Road, Yreka. Officiator is Brian Favero. Topic: Replacing Fear With Love. Info: 938-1072.
• Bike ride -- Guided mountain bike ride in Scott Valley. Starts, 8 a.m., Scott Valley Bikes, 11223 Highway 3, Fort Jones. Intermediate level. Helmets required. Bring water and snack. Free;. Info: 468-5672.