Five Reasons We Love The Talk
The ratings are spiking - and so is the buzz. The hosts of CBS's The Talk - Sheryl Underwood, Sara Gilbert, Sharon Osbourne, Aisha Tyler and Julie Chen - have lots to crow about these days, with five Daytime Emmy nominations, including one for Outstanding Talk Show/Entertainment. We're crowing, too.
1. Let's start with the decibel level. Imagine a hot-topics program starring five women who aren't all talking - or yelling - at once. It's possible! "We have too much mutual respect to out-shout each other," says Underwood. "That doesn't mean we don't disagree. If you have a show where everyone agrees, pass the Kool-Aid, 'cause that's a cult."
2. They like each other. They really like each other! "The camera doesn't lie," Chen says. "We have so much fun at our morning production meeting gossiping about our lives that our exec producer, John Redmann, is always saying, 'Stop! Shut up! Save it for the show!'"
3. They fix what's broken. Three cohosts were dropped before the current, smashing five. The original moms-based theme was also eighty-sixed. "We quickly found it limiting," admits CBS Daytime chief Angelica McDaniel. "We broadened our scope and hit our stride."
4. These gals have nerve.The Talk got its best-show Emmy nod for an episode in which the hosts appeared sans makeup. "I looked like a Chinese-food delivery boy," cracks Chen. "But the message was clear: This is who we really are, take it or leave it. So many women felt empowered by that show."
5. Sheryl Underwood. She may be the funniest person on the planet. Actually, we take that back. She is the funniest person on the planet.
Other Links From TVGuide.com