4 tips for surviving holiday travel
1. Use the right site Kayak.com Airfarewatchdog.com Yapta.com 2. Avoid peak dates
- According to expedia.com, the average price of a Las Vegas hotel Dec. 1-4 is $76 per night. The average price Dec. 29 - Jan. 1 is $260 per night.
- A seven-night Western Caribbean cruise departing Dec. 1 starts at $279 per person, while the base price for the same cruise leaving Dec. 29 is $749.
- When booking, avoid connecting through cold-weather hubs.
- If your airline's phone lines are jammed, use Skype to call one of its international reservation offices.
- Don't rely on an agent to find your best options. Use flightstats.com to look up alternate flights and alternate destinations before you call.
- Consider joining the airline's club for the day. You'll escape the terminal and may find an agent who is able to give you better service.
- If weather prevents you from getting to your destination, consider taking a flight to a warmer destination with clear weather, even if it is not exactly on the way. From there, you may be able to get a flight to your final destination more quickly.