What to do when your mood is blue: Quick tips for battling the blahs
- Feelings of sadness, lifelessness, dullness, numbness or negativity last for a considerable amount of time.
- Feeling hopeless or faithless, and like nothing will work out.
- Feeling there is no reason to get out of bed, put in effort and try, or go to school or work.
- Feeling like failure is inevitable.
- Feeling like any efforts to change the situation and have a good life will be sabotaged.
- Feeling as if you don't deserve, or are not meant to be happy.
- Feeling as if you don't deserve, or are not meant to have good things in your life.
- Feeling unworthy.
- Feeling like your presence in others lives, in your own life or in the world is ultimately a detriment.
- Feeling like everyone would be better off without you.
- Brighten your world. Paint your bedroom a bright color, or create a bright accent wall. Wear bright clothes and accessories. Men, wear brightly colored ties, handkerchiefs, socks, sunglasses and hats. Ladies, wear bright lipstick, eye shadow, nail polish, costume jewelry, sunglasses and shoes. Dye your hair a brighter color, bring along a brightly colored purse, even buy a bright case for your phone or tablet. This goes for glitter and shimmer, as well.
- Match your unmentionables. Women, match your bra and panties. It seems simple, but goes a long way. Even go out and splurge on a really nice frilly set, even if you're the only one who'll see it. Trust me, this one works wonders.
- Maintain your hygiene. Something as simple as showering and brushing your teeth once or twice every day, brushing and styling your hair, wearing clean clothes, cologne or perfume, and applying your regular skincare or makeup regimen will help lift your mood and tell you "you're worth it."
- Surround yourself with comforting smells. Burn candles and incense that invite calm and relaxation. There are so many wonderful scents that can remind you of being home for the holidays, or a leisurely day at the beach. If you're not a fan of open flames, try an oil diffuser or wall plug-in.
- Go for good food. Eat good food. Don't just indulge in fattening, rich, decadence; as this will likely mask your sadness. But eat what really tastes and feels good to you. Go for sushi if that's your favorite. Make mama's famous lasagna with your personal touch. Make reservations, even for one, at that fabulous restaurant everyone's been raving about.
- Laugh and smile. Find any way to be entertained. See a movie, watch a show or go to lunch with your best guy or girlfriends. Go to an amusement park. Roller coasters and go-karts will get your adrenaline and mood way up. Visit a museum on the discount day.
- Mix and mingle. Socialize whenever you can. Go to an office party, happy hour gathering, Meetup, or special event. Visit the park during a farmer's market, start a conversation with a stranger at your regular hangout, or try your hand at the local pub's trivia night. Talking to people and interacting with outside energy will help fill the void you may be falling too deep into all alone.