Victim's stepfather testifies in Entwistle trial

Norman Miller

In a phone call from England, the man charged with murdering his wife and infant daughter asked if they could be buried together because “that's the way I left them,” his father-in-law told a Middlesex Superior Court jury Monday.

Neil Entwistle quickly corrected himself, Joe Matterazzo said.

“He asked whether Rachel and Lily could be buried together,” he said. “He says, ‘Because that's the way I left them, I mean, that's the way I found them.’”

Prosecutor Michael Fabbri asked, “That's your best recollection of what he said?”

Matterazzo replied, “That's exactly what he said.”

Entwistle is accused of fatally shooting his wife, Rachel, and 9-month-old daughter, Lillian Rose, in January 2006 in their rented Hopkinton home.

Matterazzo, who is Rachel's stepfather, was one of 10 witnesses who testified Monday, the sixth day of the trial. One of the witnesses had begun his testimony on Friday.

Matterazzo described several phone calls he had with Entwistle, who left for England after the murders.

During the first phone call, on Jan. 23, 2006, the day after the bodies were discovered in the 6 Cubs Path home, Entwistle said, “Hi Joe, I don't know how things got like this.”

Entwistle told Matterazzo he had left the Hopkinton house around 9 a.m. to run some errands and returned around 11 a.m. He found the bodies shortly afterward and drove to Joe Matterazzo's Carver home, which he shares with Rachel's mother, Priscilla, because he knew there were guns there.

Matterazzo said Entwistle did not reply when he asked him why he wanted the gun.

Entwistle was upset during the phone calls. “His voice was very shaky, whimpering-like, very shaky,” Matterazzo said.

Matterazzo said he asked Entwistle if he had anything to do with the murders.

“I said, `Neil, did you do this or do you know who did this,' “ he testified. “He said, `No, I do not.' “

In other conversations, Entwistle complained about the press besieging his parents' Worksop home, saying he was worried that “everybody was pointing the finger at him.” Entwistle denied media reports he was involved in pornography and with escort services, he said.

Shortly after the murders, Matterazzo said, he discovered his spare set of keys for the gun locks was missing.

During cross-examination, Entwistle's lawyer, Elliot Weinstein, asked Matterazzo about his client's demeanor during the phone call.

“There's no question he was upset?” Weinstein asked.

Matterazzo agreed.

Weinstein also asked several questions about Rachel Entwistle's finances, including $18,000 in college loans. He also asked about the Matterazzos declining to co-sign a loan for the Entwistles to lease a BMW SUV.

“Rachel wasn't pleased that evening? She displayed disappointment?” Weinstein asked.

Matterazzo said, “She wasn't pleased, but she understood.”

The Entwistles finally leased the vehicle, which, Weinstein asked, must have made her happy, because she also drove a BMW in England.

“She was proud of the fact that she had a new BMW to drive around in?” Weinstein questioned. Matterazzo agreed.

Also during testimony, Matterazzo described his day on Jan. 20, 2006, the day authorities say Rachel and Lillian Rose were murdered. Matterazzo said he had a meeting in Framingham, as well as work in Marlborough. He is a job estimator.

After the murders, the state police confiscated Matterazzo's guns, including the .22 caliber revolver suspected of being the murder weapon. He also said they took his fingerprints and a DNA sample, he said.

Also Monday, Rachel Entwistle's childhood friend Michelle Vigneux said the Entwistles seemed like a happy family.

Under cross-examination, Vigneux admitted Rachel Entwistle had told her she and her husband did not have enough privacy for sex while living with her parents in Carver.

“She had said that things weren't the same,” Vigneux said.

Joe Matterazzo's son, Michael Matterazzo, said he, his father, and his brother Anthony had gone shooting at the Old Colony Sportman's Club in Pembroke on Jan. 21, 2006. One of the guns that was used that day was the .22 caliber revolver, he said.

He remembered it because its lock was fouled up.

“It didn't appear to be on correctly,” said Michael Matterazzo. “It was on, but it wasn't tight or correct.”

He also described his father as “destroyed,” when he found out Rachel and Lillian Rose had been murdered.

Matterazzo told Weinstein the gun lock keys were always left on a counter in the kitchen.

Also, several people testified about Joseph Matterazzo's whereabouts on Jan. 20, 2006, all confirming what he told police, that he was in Framingham and Marlborough.

Dawn Campbell, who was a secretary at Matterazzo's employer, John Ryan Co., said he had come to work at the usual time around 7 or 7:30 a.m. Nancy Huntley, who worked at a company in Weymouth, said Matterazzo had come to the office between 9:30 a.m. and 11 a.m. to pick up some plans.

Matterazzo's co-workers, Joseph Morrissey and Edward Flagg, both testified that Matterazzo had been in Framingham for a meeting and at a job site in Marlborough.

Testimony is expected to continue today.

Norman Miller can be reached at 508-626-3823 or