Biz Bits: ‘Sims’ is back
Electronic Arts announced the release date of the next version of its wildly popular “Sims” video game – Feb. 20, 2009. “Sims 3” will allow users to have more control over the characters and will have improved graphics, among other changes. In “Sims,” which is not a typical video game, players guide a Sim as it “lives” its day-to-day life. The “Sims” series is Electronic Arts’ best-selling game.
Tip of the Week: Understanding Generation Y workers
While it's difficult to generalize characteristics of an individual based on their generation, there has been a lot of research conducted to find commonalities among members of Generation Y. Here is what the research says about the typical Gen Yer:
"Members of Gen Y have a clear vision of what they want from a career, and it's a vision that is unique to them and the technologically advanced, environmentally and socially aware world they grew up in," said Deb Marquette, manager of field talent attraction for Thrivent Financial for Lutherans. "This generation of workers is motivated, conscious of their place in the global community and determined to make a difference in the world."
Some other characteristics:
- They want to make a difference.
- They're not afraid of competition; in fact, they crave a challenge and hard work.
- They would like to be self-employed, or at least in a career that provides plenty of autonomy.
- They understand the value of experience.
- They want to work for a company that speaks their highly technological language. (ARA)
Here are the best college football coaches for the buck, according to Forbes.com:
1. Jim Tressel, Ohio State University
2. Mike Riley, Oregon State University
3. Jim Grobe, Wake Forest University
4. Pete Carroll, University of Southern California
5. Frank Beamer, Virginia Tech
And the worst coach for the buck? Kirk Ferentz of the University of Iowa.
Quote of Note
"This is continued evidence that the initiatives and programs to protect workers' safety and health, designed by and implemented in this administration, are indeed working."
Labor Secretary Elaine Chao told AP in response to a new report that said the number of workers killed on the job dropped to new lows last year.
Number to Know: 15
Number of years a Canadian couple waited to take advantage of a coupon from a restaurant in Canton, Ohio. The eatery – Nicky’s Restaurant – sent out coupons by balloon at its grand opening in 1993, and the Canadians captured one but didn’t use it until this year.
Tech Tip: E-learning tips
Many students will find that an online education is the best option for them, but they don't know much about how it works. Here’s a quick look at the options:
- Asynchronous classes. This means the instructor's teaching and the students' assignment completion do not happen simultaneously. Asynchronous online programs are usually the most flexible, allowing students to work on assignments with as much time as they need and on their own schedule.
- Synchronous classes. Online programs can also be synchronous, with the instructor and students all "tuned in" to the class at the same time.
- Hybrid programs. Blended classes combine online coursework with some on-campus, in-person class time, giving students the advantages of both learning environments. (ARA)
GateHouse News Service