This Week in Weird, Oct. 3

Staff Writer
Mount Shasta Herald

Man with hiccups for two days calls police

RAYNHAM, Mass. -- Police conducted a well-being check on a resident Sunday for a man who reported having hiccups for two days straight.

Police received a call from state police, who said they had traced a call from a male stating that he had been having hiccups for the past 48 hours. The man became impatient during the call and had hung up.

When Raynham police arrived at the man’s house, he refused transport to a hospital.

Woman follows tracks to retrieve wood chipper

ROCKFORD, Ill. — Police say they got a call from a woman who told them that her wood chipper had been stolen from her back yard. Before police arrived at her home, the woman called police again saying she found her wood chipper at a car wash.

According to police reports, the woman told police that she found the wood chipper next to a Dumpster at the car wash, which is just around the corner from where she lives.

Police said the woman noticed the wood chipper was gone and that the gate from her fence had been removed, so she walked through the opening and followed the tracks from the wheels of her wood chipper, which led her to the car wash.

Thieves get away with bottle of whiskey, nothing else

SPRINGFIELD, Ill. – A bottle of whiskey was the only item taken after someone broke into Metzger’s Flooring Center.

The break-in occurred sometime between 5 p.m. Wednesday and 6:30 a.m. Thursday last week.

Damage to the window that was broken to gain entry was estimated at $200.

The bottle of Crown Royal whiskey, valued at $20, was taken from an office.

Move over Popeye: Man eats 7 pounds of spinach in five minutes

CAMBRIDGE, Mass. -- Some did it for the glory. Some did it to push their bodies to the limit. Harvard junior Tyler Sipprelle entered b.good’s fifth annual garlicky spinach-eating contest for the year’s worth of free burgers that goes to the winner. “I love spinach, so I didn’t see a downside,” he said.

Nearly 100 spectators gathered outside of the b.good restaurant in Harvard Square last Saturday afternoon to watch nine contestants — two ranked competitive eaters and seven amateurs — battle for the title of Garlicky Greens Eating World Champion. In addition to bragging rights and the free burgers, contestants were hoping to take home the coveted b.good champion’s belt.

Traditionally, the competition has been fairly informal — a friendly competition between customers and employees. But this year, the competition took on a new level of gravity. In January, a member of Major League Eating contacted Jon Olinto, b.good’s co-founder and owner, about making it an official Major League Eating event. This meant some changes to the format and strict adherence to the group rules, including requiring the presence of an EMT.

Contestants were given five minutes, a series of 1-pound plates of cooked spinach, and a stern warning by the professional emcee that any intestinal “reversal of fortune” by the “gurgitators” during the competition would result in immediate disqualification. Then he gave the go-ahead to start eating.

At the final bell, all the hopefuls were covered in spinach — but the winner was clear. Peter “Pretty Boy” Davekos, 30, of Waltham, Mass., who is ranked No. 25 in the world by Major League Eating, had finished 7 pounds of spinach in five minutes.

Auto parts store gets unwanted shipment: Pot

NOEL, Mo. -- The staff of an auto parts store received an unexpected, and unwanted, delivery Saturday: a shipment of 300 pounds of marijuana.

According to Gregg Sweeten, chief deputy of the McDonald County Sheriff’s Department, O’Reilly Auto Parts received a shipment of 13 boxes early Saturday. As the shipment was unexpected, managers would not accept the delivery until one of the boxes was opened to determined what it contained.

“When one of the boxes was opened, it was determined to be marijuana,” said Sweeten in a prepared statement.

Store personnel called 911, and the Noel Marshal’s Office arrived and verified the substance was pot.

The marshal’s office, in turn, called the Southwest Missouri Drug Task Force. Sweeten said undercover agents with the task force accepted the delivery and contacted the person who was to receive the shipment.

That person, described as a 22-year-old man from Noel, came to the auto parts store, where he was placed under arrest.

“During the course of the investigation, additional suspects were identified,” Sweeten said. “The agents delivered the 300 pounds of marijuana and two more suspects were taken into custody: one aged 18 and another aged 19.”

GateHouse News Service