NEWS

State Briefs 10/16/08

Staff Writer
Mount Shasta Herald

DOC employee charged with theft

SPRINGFIELD – A business office employee of the state Department of Corrections has been charged with felony theft and official misconduct following an Illinois State Police investigation.

John K. Urbas, 49, of Riverton was charged earlier this month and is being held in the Sangamon County Jail on $5,000 bond.

Urbas, a business administrative specialist who worked as DOC’s vehicle coordinator, allegedly took checks from insurance companies intended for DOC and cashed them for personal use.

According to the Sangamon County charges, Urbas took more than $10,000 but less than $100,000 during a 19-month period beginning Jan. 19, 2007. Officials say Urbas may have taken between $40,000 and $50,000

During Urbas’ first court appearance Oct. 9, the Sangamon County public defender’s office was appointed to represent him and a preliminary hearing was scheduled for Oct. 23.

Urbas has been on an unpaid leave of absence from DOC since June 5, and has been suspended by the department pending the outcome of his case, a DOC spokesman said. He started working for DOC on Dec. 1, 1983 and was making $5,109 per month when he was placed on leave, the department said.

State Journal-Register

Process server disarms knife-wielding woman

SPRINGFIELD – A civil process server for the sheriff’s office disarmed a woman wielding a knife in the MacArthur Park apartment complex Wednesday morning.

Authorities arrested Ira J. Bolden, 47, who lives in the complex at 2715 S. MacArthur Blvd.

The process server was delivering eviction papers to a resident, when he overheard on a maintenance radio that there was a fight in the parking lot. The server went to check the report and saw Bolden carrying a chair in what he described as a threatening manner.

The server, who is armed and has police powers, told her to put the chair down and return to her apartment. Bolden argued with the server, but eventually went back inside. The server turned around, then heard someone yelling, “She’s got a knife.” He turned to see Bolden walking in his direction with a knife. Authorities said she apparently was attacking someone else.

The server told her to drop the knife, but she refused. When she turned her head for a minute, he grabbed her arm and disarmed her.

State Journal-Register

Officer exonerated in deadly force case

ROCKFORD – Winnebago County State’s Attorney Phillip J. Nicolosi announced Wednesday that a Winnebago County grand jury determined that Officer Colin Kvool was justified in the use of deadly force against Jason Dimond, 28, of Rockford.

Dimond was shot during a standoff with police Sept. 26.

In its finding, the grand jury stated “We have considered the evidence presented together with the applicable laws as we understand it, and it is our conclusion, by vote of at least nine grand jurors, that Rockford Police Officer Colin Kvool was justified in the use of deadly force against Jason Dimond.”

The grand jury’s decision completes Nicolosi’s review of the officer’s use of deadly force that injured but did not kill Dimond, the news release states.

Rockford Register Star

Accused serial rapist pleads guilty days before trial

PEORIA — An accused serial rapist pleaded guilty this afternoon, just days before he was to go to trial for assaulting a 16-year-old girl on her way to school earlier this year.

Monterius Hinkle, 21, pleaded guilty to aggravated criminal sexual assault for the Jan. 16 attack. The plea agreement had no agreement as to what prison term Hinkle would receive when sentenced on Nov. 21, only that lesser counts of criminal sexual assault and unlawful restraint would be dismissed.

The effect of the plea means that Hinkle now faces six to 30 years in prison, the same amount of prison time as if he had gone to trial and lost.

Two other cases remain set for trial and could tack on an additional 90 years in prison. Those cases are set for review when Hinkle is sentenced.

Peoria Journal Star