Family Time: Keep your pets safe this Halloween
Several tips on pet safety this Halloween:
- If you’re expecting trick-or-treaters, make sure your pet is nowhere near the door. There’s a risk of the pet escaping, the pet being scared or the pet even attacking a child, so eliminate those risks and have the pet secured in a different room.
- Don’t let your pets – especially black cats – be unattended on Halloween weekend. “Pranksters” could harm your pet, intentionally or unintentionally.
- Make sure the candy dish is where pets can’t get to it. Candy can be dangerous for your furry friends, especially chocolate.
- If you have a jack-o-lantern with a lit candle inside, make sure it’s out of the pet’s reach.
Family Screening Room
Rated: PG-13 (for violence including intense shooting sequences, drug content, some sexuality and brief strong language)
Synopsis: Based on the hard-hitting interactive video game, "Max Payne" tells the story of a maverick cop determined to track down those responsible for the murder of his family and partner. Hell-bent on revenge, his obsessive investigation takes him on a nightmare journey into a dark underworld. As the mystery deepens, Max (Mark Wahlberg) is forced to battle enemies beyond the natural world and face an unthinkable betrayal.
Violence/gore rating: 4.5
Sexual-content rating: 4
Profanity rating: 4
Scary/tense-moments rating: 5
Drugs/alcohol rating: 3
Family Time rating: 4.5. Despite the PG-13 rating, this might not even be appropriate for young teens. Proceed with caution.
(Ratings are judged on a five-point scale, with 5 being “bad for kids” and 1 being “fine for kids.”)
Tip of the Week: Get ready for graduation
Is 2009 the year you look forward to your son or daughter graduating from high school or college? You'll be so proud to see them make such an accomplishment. But what are their plans post-graduation? Even though graduation is still months away, now is a great time for parents to help their young adults plan for their careers and think about how they will manage their salary. Here are some tips from the pros:
- Stress the importance of job experience.
- Consider job shadowing as another alternative.
- Set up a fixed allowance while your son or daughter is still in school.
- Outline a monthly money management system for the future.
- Encourage social responsibility.
- Stress saving even when income is low. (ARA)
Kids Kitchen: Cheesy Delight
1/8 cup 2 percent milk
1/2 cup cottage cheese
1/3 cup cream cheese
1/8 cup shredded mild cheddar
1/4 cup soft cooked peas
1/8 cup diced cooked carrots
Blend first four ingredients until smooth, then stir in the rest. Top with Parmesan cheese and shredded mozzarella. Serves 1. (www.cdkitchen.com)
“Goodnight Goon: A Petrifying Parody,” by Michael Rex
Ages: 4 to 8
It’s bedtime in the cold gray tomb with a black lagoon, and two slimy claws, and a couple of jaws, and a skull and a shoe and a pot full of goo. But as a little werewolf settles down, in comes the Goon determined at all costs to run amok and not let any monster have his rest. A beloved classic gets a kind-hearted send up in this utterly monsterized parody; energetic art and a hilarious text will have kids begging to read this again and again.
GateHouse News Service