Update: Kidnapping suspect booked on multiple charges

Skye Kinkade
Kody Kaplon

An Amber Alert issued for a three year-old Yreka girl was cancelled Monday afternoon after she was found “alive and talking,” wandering alone on a road northwest of Yreka, according to Lieutenant Dave Gamache of the Yreka Police Department.

The suspect in the alleged kidnapping, 22 year-old Kody Kaplon of Hornbrook, was taken into custody after he called in to the Amber Alert tip line around 2 p.m. asking why people were looking for him.

YPD investigators determined it was possible that Kaplon had been in the Hawkinsville-Humbug area, and they sent search teams to that location to look for the girl.

Around 3:30 p.m., unidentified local citizens found the 3 year-old walking naked along a dirt road on the Klamath River side of Humbug and took her to California Highway Patrol officer Rick Taylor, who had been searching the area nearby.

The girl was transported to Fairchild Medical Center in Yreka to be treated for minor injuries, said a YPD press release.

Kaplon was booked into the Siskiyou County Jail around 4:15 p.m. on charges of burglary, kidnapping, taking or enticing a child, false imprisonment, willful cruelty to a child, attempted murder and sex or sodomy of a child under 10 years of age.

The green Pontiac allegedly driven by Kaplon was located about two miles from where the girl was found, a location that is being considered by law enforcement as one of three crime scenes involved with the case. The other two crime scenes are where the girl was found and where she was taken from.

The girl had been reported as abducted at 4:37 a.m. on Monday morning, after her 30 year-old father reported he woke to sounds of her screaming, said the YPD. He reported running outside and seeing his daughter being driven away in Kaplon’s car.

Efforts by the YPD to locate Kaplon were unsuccessful, and an Amber Alert was posted by the CHP.

It was reported by the YPD that Kaplon may have attended a social gathering on Sunday night at the family’s home, although the family stated that the suspect was unknown to them until that time.

As of late yesterday afternoon, the girl was in the custody of Child Protective Services. A YPD press release said her parents are not under investigation.

The California Department of Justice, the FBI, and the National Center for Missing and Exploited children will be working with the YPD through the completion of the investigation.