Editorial: Please be smart with animals in the heat
It seems every year we read a headline similar to the one below: “27 animals found inside hot car.”
This headline comes from The Associated Press after 25 cats and two dogs are expected to recover after being rescued from a hot car parked outside a casino while their owner was inside gambling.
The incident happened Sunday when temperatures in St. Charles, Mo., were in the 90s with high humidity. Someone called 911 after seeing the animals inside a Chevrolet Lumina in the parking garage at the Ameristar Casino.
Police said the animals had no water, but some food was scattered on the car’s floor. The windows were cracked open.
Authorities believe the woman had arrived about 25 minutes earlier.?She told police she is homeless and living in the car.
While we have compassion for this woman’s plight and living condition, it is hard to be understanding on why she left 27 animals in a hot car while she was gambling inside a cool, air-conditioned casino.
Too often one can take a trip to a local shopping center or grocery store and walk by more than one car with a dog barking inside the vehicle — left alone by its owner while it runs in a store to grab a few items.
I think we all can agree it’s never a short visit to any store these days to “grab a few things.”
While animals should never be left unattended in a vehicle, this is more important as temperatures soar in the 80s, 90s and above. Remember, the temperatures inside the car can reach 120 degrees very quickly — even with the windows cracked.
Would you leave your children in a hot car unattended? Would you yourself stay in a hot car while your family runs into the store? We think it’s a safe bet that you would get out of the car and go into the store yourself in the matter of minutes.
Please, use common sense when caring for animals in the heat. It’s not too much to ask.
Neosho Daily News