5 Things to Do This Weekend (June 3-5)
1. Friday is National Doughnut Day, a celebration originally started as a Salvation Army fundraiser. Many Salvation Army branches still take part in this delicious day, so check the newspaper for information.
2. The big new movie this week is “X-Men: First Class.” This PG-13 superhero flick tells the origin story of the X-Men, and it should appeal to kids and adults alike.
3. Saturday is National Trails Day, a day designed to get people to use and help maintain local trails. There will be volunteer opportunities this day, so check around to see who needs help. You can also go to http://www.americanhiking.org/ for more information.
4. The NHL and NBA finals are currently taking place, and two big games are this weekend. Game 2 of the NHL finals are Saturday at 8 p.m. EDT, with Vancouver facing Boston; and Game 3 of the NBA finals are Sunday at 8 p.m. EDT, with Miami taking on Dallas.
5. Sunday is World Environment Day, a day to help out Mother Nature and take care of your town. Volunteer opportunities should be available for this day as well, so check the newspaper for listings. To learn more about the day or how to help, go to the official website, http://www.unep.org/wed/.
GateHouse News Service