101 Ideas: A bedding glossary


Use this handy reference guide to help choose the right bedding for you.

Baffle box (or box construction) -- A type of construction for a down comforter that places walls of fabric perpendicular to the top and bottom panel of the comforter, creating a series of boxes that enclose the down; considered superior to "sewn-through" stitching, in which stitches go through the down and connect the top and bottom panels directly.

Bed skirt (or dust ruffle) -- This decorative fabric piece skirts the bed on three sides and can be used functionally to hide stored items underneath.

Bolster -- A cylindrical throw pillow so named because it can be used to support the neck.

Boudoir pillow -- A small rectangular throw pillow.

Combed cotton -- Cotton that has been combed to remove short fibers so that only long fibers remain, making a strong, soft yarn.

Comforter -- A thick bed covering packed with down or synthetic fill and usually quilted; does not require a fabric cover.

Coverlet -- A bed covering that is generally thinner and lighter than a comforter.

Duvet -- Term used alternately to refer to a thick comforter filled with down, one that requires a fabric covering or the fabric covering itself, so check packaging carefully to be sure what you're getting.

For thousands of other ideas, visit www.hgtv.com. Distributed by Scripps Howard News Service.