Insider moving tips
I know how stressful the weeks leading up to and the day of your move can be. To help alleviate that stress for others, I took notes on some of the things I wish I had known about before I started packing for a recent move.
- Hold on to your keys: This seems like an obvious one, but when you’re moving, nothing is in its usual place. Keep your keys in your pocket or in a designated area to avoid wasting time trying to track them down.
- Garbage bags, everywhere!: When moving, these go fast. You obviously need them for garbage, but they are a cheap and convenient way to protect pillows and blankets as they go into boxes. Be sure to have a backup supply or order some online and have them delivered to your new home.
- Cleaning supplies: Many cleaning supplies are aerosol or caustic, and are not allowed on moving trucks. Keep a list of the supplies you need so you can easily replace what you’re missing when you get to your new home.
- Amazon.com Wish List: As you discard items you can’t bring with you or think of items you will need in your new home, it is helpful to keep a running list on the Amazon iPhone app under the “Wish List” tab. You will be ready to order all of the replacement items and have them waiting for you at your new address. Bonus: If you have an Amazon Prime account, you can order these items with one click and they will be sent to you in 24 hours.
- Disconnect utility services in advance: Most utility companies will let you schedule your service disconnect in advance, so you don’t have to worry about paying for services you will no longer be using.
- Change of address: Another no-brainer, which is easy to take care of weeks before your move. The United States Postal Service lets you set the date to start forwarding items to your new address after your move date, so go ahead and schedule this as soon as you have an address. That way you won’t miss any important mail.
Mark Bertrand is product manager at MovingCompanyReviews.com.