Teen rearrested, charged in officer involved shooting

Skye Kinkade

The Siskiyou County Sheriff’s Office identified the man who was shot by law enforcement in a Nov. 5 armed stand-off in Mount Shasta as Jesse B. Macias, age 19.

After being treated at Mercy Medical Center Mt. Shasta for gunshot wounds last week, Macias was rearrested Tuesday morning, Nov. 12 and booked into Siskiyou County Jail on charges of felony resisting arrest, assault with a deadly weapon (not a firearm) and attempt to murder a peace officer, said Siskiyou County Sheriff Jon Lopey.

He will be arraigned in the Siskiyou County Superior Court within 48 hours of his arrest, said Lopey.

“We are being careful to attend to any medical or psychological issues that Mr. Macias may have going on,” said Lopey. “We’re definitely addressing those.”

The Siskiyou County Sheriff’s deputy and sergeant involved in the shooting have not been identified, but are on administrative leave while routine criminal and administrative investigations are conducted to determine whether the use of force was justified and if they followed departmental guidelines.

Macias was wounded around 10:30 a.m. last Tuesday on the street outside his Douglas Lane home. He was later arrested, underwent surgery and was then released to the care of the hospital, Lopey said.

His rearrest came after the Siskiyou County Sheriff’s Office obtained a warrant through the court, Lopey explained. Macias was taken into custody at approximately 8:45 a.m. on Tuesday by a team that consisted of Sheriff’s personnel and personnel from the Yreka and Mount Shasta police departments as well as a representative from the Siskiyou County District Attorney’s Office.

As is standard procedure after officer-involved shootings in the county, the Siskiyou County Interagency Critical Investigation Team was activated after the Nov. 5 incident. The criminal investigation is being led by the YPD with assistance from investigators with the Siskiyou County DA, the Weed Police Department and Etna Police Department, Lopey said.

The Sheriff’s Office’s Major Crimes Unit will conduct their own administrative investigation, Lopey said. The team is comprised of a detective sergeant, two detectives and a forensic technician, said Lopey.

When the deputy and sergeant arrived on Douglas Lane on Nov. 5, Lopey said they encountered Macias standing in the roadway armed with two large knives.

“An effort ensued to deescalate the incident and peacefully resolve the incident,” Lopey said, but the man assaulted the officers, ending with an officer-involved shooting.

Neither the Sheriff’s personnel nor an officer with the Mount Shasta Police Department, who also responded to the incident, were injured.