These Siskiyou County runners shined at CIF State Cross Country meet in Fresno
Siskiyou County runners had positive showings last Saturday at the 2021 CIF State Cross Country Championships at Woodward Park in Fresno.
Division IV boys
In Division IV, the Yreka boy’s team placed 23rd overall.
- Sophomore Henry Baun had a strong race with a personal record time of 16 minutes and 31.7 seconds. Baun ranked 56th overall out of 209 runners.
- Junior teammate Victor Lujan ran a personal record time of 18 minutes and 11.1 seconds and finished 158th overall.
Other Yreka runners who took part are:
- Gabe Gregg: 18 minutes and 25.2 seconds, which was a personal record mark for him. Gregg placed 167th overall.
- Chase Callison:18 minutes and 28.6 seconds, which was a personal record mark for him. Callison placed 171st overall.
- Saku Sekiguchi: 18 minutes and 36.2 seconds, which was a personal record mark for him.
- Sekiguchi placed 176th overall. Benjamin Trujillo: 19 minutes and 01.2 seconds. Trujillo placed 185th overall.
- Tyler Faultner: 19 minutes and 06.5 seconds. Faultner placed 188th overall.
Division V boys
Senior Ryan Mitchell of Weed finished in 16 minutes and 39.4 seconds. Mitchell placed 29th overall in the Division V race out of 202 runners. This was his third state appearance. He did not compete in state as a junior due to the event being called off because of the pandemic.
“He went out fast and stayed consistent in his position within the pack,” Weed High School head coach Eva Garcia-Mitchell said.
Ryan Mitchel said it was great to be back at the state meet after two years. He said he “really missed” not having the meet last year and was pleased he could finish his high school cross country career at the state meet.
Senior Drew Hering of Mount Shasta also had a strong race. He finished with a season-best time of 16 minutes and 41.7 seconds. Herring placed 33rd overall in Division V. This was his third state meet berth. Hering ended the race strong as he came up from the 106th place spot after the first mile to end up in 33rd place. His last mile split was his fastest at 5:09.
Division IV girls
Sophomore Augustine Mylan of Yreka placed 129th out of 207 runners with a personal record time of 21 minutes and 11.1 seconds.
Freshman Carlotta Christie of Yreka finished in 23 minutes and 05.8 seconds, which was a personal record mark for her. Christie placed 178th overall.
Division V girls
Junior Jenna Justice of Etna High performed well with a season record time of 20 minutes and 23.9 seconds to place 45th out of 192 runners.
Junior Sylva Carpenter of Mount Shasta finished with a personal record time of 21 minutes and 37.2 seconds. Carpenter placed 95th overall.
Lucia Duarte of Weed, an exchange student from Spain who had never run cross country before this year, finished in 21 minutes and 50.9 seconds. Duarte placed 110th overall.
“Lucia had a lot of fun and was amazed to see so many people who all like cross country,” said Eva Garcia-Mitchell, her head coach. “She ran a good race.”
Elizabeth Yokel of Etna finished in 23 minutes and 37.3 seconds. Yokel placed 144th overall.
Bill Choy covers sports and general news for the Siskiyou Daily News/Mount Shasta Herald/USA Today Network. Follow him on Twitter at@SDNBillChoy. Email Bill at firstname.lastname@example.org. Support local journalism by subscribing today.