Liven up your laundry room
Often out of sight and out of mind, most laundry rooms are designed like closets rather than efficient utility rooms.
With just a few inexpensive changes, you can brighten your clothes and your mood by transforming your dark and dingy laundry room into a bright, functional (and even enjoyable) place.
- By taking off the doors on a few of your upper cabinets, you'll open up the space and create a place to store baskets. Assign baskets for every member of the house, which makes sorting a breeze.
- Why not decoupage or paint the insides of your cabinets for a fun pop of color? Adhere some cork panels on the inside of the cabinet doors and create a space to pin all those stain removal tips.
- Every surface (floors and countertops included) can be painted or resurfaced. Update your laundry room with paint and a concrete overlay for less than $30 in materials.
- A rolling laundry butler can be your best friend, doing triple duty with a hanging bar, a rolling basket and a drying rack. It's the perfect choice for smaller laundry rooms.
- Don’t ignore the walls. Hanging interesting art and mirrors will elevate your room and make it feel less utilitarian and a little homier.
- Use a slab of stone or a simple piece of painted medium-density fiberboard on top of washer/dryer units to create a folding station that also prevent socks from slipping in between the appliances.