Boys & Girls Club of Greater Shasta poised to open summer camp
The Boys & Girls Club of Greater Shasta is part of the national Boys & Girls Club of America, that has been serving the youth of Siskiyou County since its doors opened in June of 2017.
Having been an educator in our schools, I have been aware of the need for many children to have a supportive place to go after school, offering quality programming. Since becoming a member of the BGCGS Board of Directors, I am proud to see how our club has evolved, as I have also come to realize what a Boys & Girls Club can provide – a safe place to be, with stimulating and fun activities, coupled with the support of professionally trained, caring adults.
Through this pandemic crisis the importance of our work and the commitment to our club kids and families is stronger than ever. We exist to serve as a vital resource to the community and to the kids who need us most. Since Club doors closed mid-March, our CEO, Noam Zimin and our staff, have been adjusting to meet the new demands with focus on:
• Virtual club experience – Keeping youth engaged with educational opportunities, social and emotional wellness, positive activities, and connections to peers and staff, from their homes.
• Feeding the kids – Boys & Girls Club of Greater Shasta has partnered with Great Northern to continue to provide free weekly bags of food to families in need of extra support.
• Keeping the club ready – Making necessary and critical plans to reopen the club, with helping youth recover a sense of emotional safety and community they may have lost, and providing parents with a place for their kids to be safe and well fed while they return to work.
The Boys & Girls Club of Greater Shasta is now excited to announce the reopening of the Club for our Summer Camp Program on the Sisson School campus, June 29-Aug. 21! In preparation of welcoming back members, BGCGS has put in place preventative measures in accordance with Centers of Disease Control and Prevention guidelines and local and state health agencies, to reduce the spread of COVID-19 and assure that our summer program will be fully compliant with social distancing and infection prevention protocols. Safety remains our number one priority. Upon opening, the following precautions will be implemented to ensure the health and safety of both members and staff:
• Social fistancing – 10 youth per classroom, spaced six feet apart
• Wellness monitoring, including temperature checks
• Increased sterilization
• Required hand washing
We realize that Boys & Girls Club of Greater Shasta is the only place that some families can turn to when schools are closed. We are monitoring these conditions diligently and will continue to operate with the limitations in place to provide a safe environment for our youth and staff.
As we make the necessary preparations to reopen our doors, we need continued support now, more than ever. We are calling on our community to help ensure the health and well being of our kids and their families in this time of need. We understand that these are challenging times for everyone, and as such, no gift is too small. See below for more on Summer Camp registration and the many ways to donate including our COVID-19 Relief Fund. Thank you to our donors, partners and supporters who remain committed to our club during this time. Whatever it takes, we continue to serve youth and families who need us most, both now, and in the months and years ahead.
B&GCGS board member