Former Mount Shasta Youth Soccer coach charged with assaulting a minor in Redding area

Ethan Hanson
Ian Anderson

Ian Thomas Anderson, who coached a Mount Shasta youth soccer team in 2014 and was briefly head coach of Simpson University’s women’s soccer team in Redding, faces charges of sexually assaulting a minor.

Anderson, 33, is accused of child molestation, creating and possessing control of child pornography, false personation, contact with a minor with intent to comment sexual offense and two counts of sexual battery.

He was arrested June 18 and released after posting $50,000 bail on June 19, court records show.

The newspaper is withholding the name and potentially identifiable information about the alleged victim, who resides in the Redding area. By policy, the newspaper does not name victims of sexual assault.

Anderson, who now resides in Shasta County, was hired at Simpson in July 2018. He played soccer at San Jose State University. He received an invitation to play for the MLS team Chicago Fire before an injury ended any chance of playing professional soccer, according to a Simpson University athletics press release and an interview Anderson did with the Mt. Shasta Area Newspapers in September of 2014.

At that time, Anderson coached the Mount Shasta U12 soccer team “The Fire.” He said during an interview that he had a national coaching license and he had been offered a chance to train as a coach with the LA Galaxy, but instead moved to his hometown of Mount Shasta to coach local athletes. Anderson said he thought he could help open doors for local players to get college scholarships with his experience and connections.

About a month after he was hired at Simpson, Anderson was no longer the coach. It is not clear what led to Anderson’s departure. 

Simpson University Chief Operating Officer Robert Quirk said via email “it is the University’s policy to not comment on either current or former employees.”

According to the police report, Anderson met the alleged victim while he was managing Soccer Kraze, a boutique soccer equipment store in Redding. 

Anderson began impersonating a basketball player from a major national program to develop a closer relationship with the victim, the police report said. The newspaper is not naming the player because the investigation does not indicate he was involved or even aware of Anderson’s alleged actions in any way.

Anderson claimed he knew the player because of his connections with that college’s soccer team, police say. According to the police report, he started collecting the player’s signed memorabilia. The items would be boxed and staged to look as if the athlete was sending the victim gifts through Soccer Kraze, investigators said. 

Posing as the basketball player, Anderson allegedly began requesting elicit photos of the victim and, still posing, told the victim to pursue a relationship with Anderson, the police report said.

Between November 2019 and March 2020, Anderson committed the alleged sexual assaults on numerous occasions, according to the police report.

Anderson and the victim communicated online using Xbox Live, Snapchat, Instagram, Facebook, Facebook Messenger, email and Life360, the police report said.

Anderson did not respond to multiple messages seeking comment. 

A person who answered the phone at Redding Soccer Kraze said Anderson no longer works there but declined to say if he’d been fired. Someone at the store’s corporate office declined comment. Both declined to provide their names. Anderson is still listed as store assistant manager, along with a bio, on the company’s website.

Anderson’s next court appearance is scheduled for July 24 at the Shasta County Superior Court in Redding.

Skye Kinkade contributed to this report.

Ethan Hanson started working for the Redding Record Searchlight after four years with the Los Angeles Daily News as a freelancer. His coverage includes working the NCAA Women’s Basketball Tournament in South Bend, Indiana, and writing about the St. Louis Rams’ move to Los Angeles with the Ventura County Star. He began his career as a play-by-play broadcaster for LA Pierce College from 2011-2017.