Elderly woman found deceased in Mount Shasta house fire
Emergency responders found an “elderly female adult” deceased in a home that burned on Audubon Road in Mount Shasta Tuesday afternoon, Dec. 29, 2015, while an elderly male occupant was able to escape, according to a Siskiyou County Sheriff’s Office news release.
Mount Shasta Fire Department, Hammond Ranch Fire Company, Castella/Dunsmuir City Fire Department, CAL FIRE, Mount Shasta Ambulance, California Highway Patrol, and the Siskiyou County Sheriff’s Office all responded to the fire on Audubon Road (Timber Hills) west of N. Old Stage Road outside the Mount Shasta city limits.
Release of the victim’s name was pending as of Tuesday evening.
The case is under investigation by the Siskiyou County Arson Team and an autopsy is planned, but the Sheriff’s Office reported no evidence had been found of criminal intent related to the death.
Fire and smoke were heavy when first responders arrived and could have been a factor in the death, according to the release.
“On behalf of the fire and law enforcement responders, I would like to convey our sincere condolences and prayers to the family of the victim of this tragedy,” Sheriff Jon Lopey states in the release. “This is also a good time to remind all citizens to be especially cautious when starting fires or when operating stoves, fire places, or other heating devices during the winter season. We ask all of our fellow citizens to be careful and to ensure they have working fire/smoke alarms (with fresh batteries) and the installation of carbon monoxide alarms should also be considered.
“All flammable materials should be kept well clear of fire and heat sources. Ensure that stoves and fireplaces are periodically inspected by licensed professionals and it is always prudent to closely monitor all vulnerable populations when they are in and around heating appliances, stoves, and fire places.”
The Sheriff’s Office points to additional fire prevention information available from the CAL FIRE website: www.fire.ca.gov.
The Sheriff’s Office urges anyone with any additional information about the fire-related incident on Audubon Road to contact the SCSO Dispatch Center at (530) 841-2900.