Bears crush Trinity 7-0, get No. 1 playoff seed

Dave Sjostedt
Nathaniel Bekaert of Mount Shasta, above left, scored twice against Trinity at home Thursday to finish with a team leading 13 regular season goals.
                                                                                               Photo by Dave Sjostedt

Mount Shasta High School’s soccer team beat Trinity 7-0 on Thursday at Shastice Park to finish their second straight undefeated regular season and secure the number one seed in the Northern Section Fall Soccer Playoffs. 

It took them a while to get rolling, but the Bears exploded for five second-half goals for the easy win in a game that saw much of the action in Trinity’s half of the pitch.

Landon Turner got the scoring going 16 minutes in with the first of his two goals. It looked as though the Bears would carry only a 1-0 lead into the intermission, but leading goal-scorer Nathan Bekaert made it 2-0 at the 36 minute mark.

Then the flood gates opened. Will Winters scored twice in the first five minutes of the second half, and defenseman Ian Anderson celebrated his final regular season game with his second goal of the year at 8:45.

Coach Brad Robinson was able to give his bench a lot of time on the field, and Caleb Hanson responded with his first goal of the year before Nathaniel Bekaert wrapped up the scoring with his second goal of the game.

Robinson conducted a half-time ceremony to recognize his seniors playing their final regular season games. Ian Anderson, Ross Winters, and Holden Van Laeken will graduate as two-time league champions. The Bears took 29 shots on Trinity’s goal while allowing only two shots on Corey Slabaugh who registered his fourth shutout of the year.

Mount Shasta won the Shasta Cascade Soccer League with a perfect 8-0 record, inflicting the only loss on second place Tulelake, a team they may see again in the playoffs. Mount Shasta played the No. 8 seed, Paradise Adventist Academy, at home on Tuesday in a first round playoff contest. The Bears won 4-0, which advanced them to a Thursday home match against No. 4 seed CORE Butte in the semifinals. The game begins at 3 p.m.

Weed got the No. 6 seed and traveled to Quincy Tuesday to play the No. 3 seed, losing 5-1. Weed ended the year 9-7-1 heading into Tuesday’s contest. Quincy is at No. 2 seed Tulelake on Thursday.   If the seedings hold up, we’ll see a re-match of last year’s final where the Bears edged Tulelake 2-0. The 2019 Bears beat Tulelake 5-1 in September. The title game is set for this Saturday.