This week’s suggestions include participating in the Great Backyard Bird Count, seeing “Ghost Rider” or another new movie, and more.
1. The annual Great Backyard Bird Count begins today. People are encouraged to spend 15 minutes watching birds and then report the types and numbers online at www.birdsource.org/gbbc. This is good opportunity for parents to get their children interested in nature, and parents will enjoy the experience, too. The website above has more information on what to do, and it has kids’ activities as well.
2. The new movies opening this week are “Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance,” a PG-13 superhero sequel starring Nicolas Cage; “This Means War,” an R comedy action movie starring Reese Witherspoon; “Undefeated,” an unrated documentary about a football team; and the animated G film “The Secret World of Arrietty.”
3. Monday is Love Your Pet Day, a day when pet owners are encouraged to pamper their pets and show them how much they love them. You can start early this weekend and take your dog for a walk in the park, go to a pet store and buy some treats or just spend more time than usual with your family friend. Check your local pet stores and animal shelters to see if any events are planned.
4. NASCAR returns to action this weekend. The Budweiser Shootout airs on Fox on Saturday at 8 p.m. EST, and Daytona 500 qualifying is on Fox on Sunday at 1 p.m.
5. There are other sports in action this weekend as well: The NBA and NHL have games all weekend, and there are international soccer games as well.
GateHouse News Service