Click the link below to go to this week's 5 Things, with playoff football, Elvis Presley and more. Or check out these other links.
1. This is a big weekend for football – the NFL playoffs kick off on Saturday with two games, and two more are on tap for Sunday. And college bowl games take place all weekend, starting with the AT&T Cotton Bowl on Friday night and ending with the BCS Championship on Monday night (pitting LSU vs. Alabama). Go to www.nfl.com and www.bcsfootball.org for more information.
2. It’s not a big weekend for new movies, but there are several that might be worth checking out: ”The Devil Inside,” an R-rated horror flick; “Beneath the Darkness,” R, a thriller; and “Roadie,” R.
3. Sunday is the birthday of Elvis Presley, so put on your blue suede shoes and celebrate the King, who was born Jan. 8, 1935. We suggest heading to a bar and playing only Elvis songs on the jukebox, or hold your own Elvis party. Some bars might already be planning an Elvis night, complete with an impersonator, so check the newspaper listings for more information. And if you’re anywhere near Graceland, they’ll be partying all weekend long.
4. January is National Skating Month, so take advantage of the cold weather and head to an ice rink (indoors or outdoors). U.S. Figure Skating sponsors the month and has information on its Web site about skating clubs and more, so if you’re unsure of where to go, check out www.usfigureskating.org. Just don’t forget the hot chocolate for when the skating fun is done.
5. Jan. 8 is the start of Universal Letter-Writing Week, so if you’re looking for something to keep you occupied this weekend, take part in this themed week. And do it the old-fashioned way – there’s something special about getting a letter in the mail as opposed to an e-mail or text.
GateHouse News Service